Traffic Engineer experience does not qualify for Civil?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a lot in the write up, make it very focused on the traffic "ENGINEERING" part and decision making.
Use some of the "buzz words" from the NCEES exam breakdown in your descrption (Utilize Highway Capacity Manual to decide capacity of interstate system, etc, etc, etc, )

What you mention above is considered planning which in CA would not count as experience according to the board.

I just passed the PE and all of my experience is with a traffic engineering consulting firm. I had no problems whatsoever. If he is more of a planner than an engineer then maybe that's why.

I work for a traffic firm but we also do Civil Engineering which I am not involved in. Typically a traffic consulting firm does

Traffic Engineering

Traffic Signal Engineering and System Synchronization

Traffic Impact Study and Parking Study

Traffic Calming and Pedestrian Safety Study

Traffic Control and Detour Design

Intelligent Transportation System (ITS)

I also do

Electrical Engineering

Roadway Lighting and Control Design

Streetscape and Landscape Lighting Design

Power Design and Planning

Could I see a sample of the wording used for your application? He is both a planner/designer. We do electrical and communications, its design, and other traffic related design.
We are strictly a Traffic Firm and I had no problems. I listed projects involving traffic impact analyses, traffic signal plans, traffic classification and volume counts, roadway design plans, traffic control plans, and sign inventory.

All that you listed above is disqualified here (maybe because CA has a separate TE exam).

So there is no one else having this problem?
Hello Martin,

I am in a similar situation as yours. I am working on the paperwork for California PE Civil exam in Spring 2012. I have worked for a transportation firm involving traffic engineering/planning that includes signal design,signing/striping, lighting, traffic control plans, ITS design, traffic impact studies, corridor studies, safety studies etc etc.....However the CA board does not recognize this as civil engineering experience.

what did you finally do with your application in regards to the experience part? I will greatly appreciate your response.

Like most on this thread, I believe the right choice of words and description is the key. To be fair, there are some divisions of traffic that have very tenuous connection to civil engineering. For example, a person who works on developing simulation software. He does have to use some of the traffic principles but is he really traffic engineer or a civil engineer?

Back