top 5 things that can make you go bankrupt

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too surprising, I have a friend she is 26 and got very sick with H1N1, -she barely survived. In the hospital for months and isn't even fully back to normal yet.

Now she has $75,000 of debt she was showing me the bills that keep arriving.

The only thing I could tell her was wait until you are finally well again/back to work and file for bankruptcy.

I'm going to chalk that article under the column: "DUH"

I know several people who have had to file for bankruptcy (for various reasons), and each of them came back and said it was the best thing they ever did financially. One went through several years of "credit counceling" only to find out that these councelors are just as bad as bankruptcy when it comes to credit. part of the bankruptcy process requires you to attend (and pass) credit and debt control classes to teach you how to avoid getting into the same problems.

Last edited:
I saw divorce in there, which I had expected. However, they forgot the most prominent reason for bankruptcy...

MARRIAGE :p

Leave it to Harvard to generate a list that insightful and profound...who knew losing your job could make your run out of money?

Leave it to Harvard to generate a list that insightful and profound...who knew losing your job could make your run out of money?

My favorite was the part where the earthquake destroys someone's house, and they get fired because they can't dress appropriately for work. I would love for them to cite how often a boss fires an employee after their house and clothes are destroyed by an earthquake, fire, flood, tornado, hurricane, or any other catastrophic natural disaster.

Why thank you...I try to be equally stereotypical and sarcastic with everyone...but way to be ultra-defensive...and since now that I know I have a direct line to Harvard...yes I truly think you should repeat all of my ramblings on this forum to your wife and sister-in-law.

VT...you HAVE to admit that most of this would be common sense, and really, the comments about losing your job causing you not to have income, or a catastrophic event causing you to lose your job because you can't dress properly. Can anyone give me this example?

I ALWAYS find it humorous when people that are supposed to be ultra intelligent comes up with an idea that a farmer with an eighth grade education could tell you about.

(The previous message was not intended to insult farmers, or the eighth grade)

I ALWAYS find it humorous when [SIZE=12pt]people[/SIZE] that are supposed to be ultra intelligent [SIZE=12pt]comes up [/SIZE]with an idea that a farmer with an eighth grade education could tell you about.
Can't quiiiiiite put my finger on it, but there's something about subject / verb agreement here that bothers me. Anyone have an 8th grader who can help me out? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't quiiiiiite put my finger on it, but there's something about subject / verb agreement here that bothers me. Anyone have an 8th grader who can help me out? :p

I found out the other night, from Jeff Foxworthy, that apparently I'm not as smart as a 5th grader... 8th grader's must be freakin geniuses!!!!

Or I'm just not as smart as I thought I was...

Leave it to Harvard to generate a list that insightful and profound...
Wow, should I first tell my wife that works there or my sister-in-law that goes there your insights?

Nice job with the sweeping generalizations I might add.
I thought you live in NYC. Cambridge is not exactly within commuting distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

My favorite was the part where the earthquake destroys someone's house, and they get fired because they can't dress appropriately for work. I would love for them to cite how often a boss fires an employee after their house and clothes are destroyed by an earthquake, fire, flood, tornado, hurricane, or any other catastrophic natural disaster.
My first day to work post-Katrina, I showed up in a t-shirt, swimtrunks, and flip-flops.

My boss was okay with it.

My Katrina preparedness included packing enough clothes for a three day stay in Destin. I really didn't think it would affect anything near my place. I was wrong. I had worn my remaining clothes (all t-shirts and shorts mind you) digging through the rubble. I didn't think to go to someone's place further inland to wash clothes until late that night. So, I showed up in what was clean.

I went to visit family in north MS the following weekend and purchased more appropriate clothes.

VT...you HAVE to admit that most of this would be common sense, and really, the comments about losing your job causing you not to have income, or a catastrophic event causing you to lose your job because you can't dress properly. Can anyone give me this example?
I ALWAYS find it humorous when people that are supposed to be ultra intelligent comes up with an idea that a farmer with an eighth grade education could tell you about.

^^^ Now that was a good one.

Back