TOP 10 Reasons why I failed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
1. I'm just a dumb bodybuilder

2. 20 hrs of study time total (between both tests, Oct. and April)

3. Didn't buy enough PPI materials

4. Read MuscleCar magazines instead of textbooks

5. Read Bodybuilding magazines instead of CERM

6. Read Maxim magazines instead of working problems

7. When I think about studying, I get hungry. Then eat.

8. I like Pizza.

9. I signed up for a "PE email list", then got stuff about Penil Enlargements

10. ................ TACO's

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the big one right there. If you insert a "9" between the 2 and the 0, that's how long I studied. It sucked, and I was hideously overprepared, but I breezed through it.

I'd really suggest getting in the habit of 2-3 hours a night during the week, and a couple blocks of 2 hours on weekends. 5-6 days a week.

i would study the cerm for a half hour and read comic books for a half hour to reward myself for my hard work. :D

That's the big one right there. If you insert a "9" between the 2 and the 0, that's how long I studied. It sucked, and I was hideously overprepared, but I breezed through it.

I'd really suggest getting in the habit of 2-3 hours a night during the week, and a couple blocks of 2 hours on weekends. 5-6 days a week.
esp. if you are not practicing (cranking equations) at work.

I agree. That will be the difference this next time. I honestly did not deserve to pass the exam before. It should be tough enough so that someone can't pass it cold like that.

I actually have excuses as to why I wasn't able to put the time towards it before, and I'm hoping nothing impairs my time on this go around.

I took my CERM to the friggin pool last night( kids wanted to go, wife works nights this summer)

previoulsy I had taken a stogie and some cold beer........ :cry:

I took a reference/study book everywhere I went with me while I was prepping. That odd half an hour at the doctor's office or waiting for your car at the shop adds up over time.

Most weeknights I studied from about 8:30 - 10:30.

If I was feeling extra vigorous, I'd do 6-8, eat, then go 9-10.

I made sure I signed up for an exercise class during that time, because I knew I never would on my own. But, paying good money for it and having it be scheduled was helpful in me going.

Weekends I'd generally do 7-9 AM, and 4-6 PM. I found those didn't ruin any plans I might have for the day.

thats my plan for this time a round, I did an honest 2 months of studying about 2 hours during the week(each night) and then took a prep course, which was worthless on the weekends, my last month I found myself studying for 15 minutes and then losing interest fast. I hope I have new sense of motivation. <<Darth Vader Voice>>

I think another mistake I made was abandoning my exercise routine, I could really tell I was out of energy at night..

I will be glad when my wife is back working days, cause having pick up duty, feeding them hogs, entertaining them , bathing, combing her majesty's hair (the daughter) and then putting them to bed at around 8:30 is enough to make me start drinking right after...

I ended up losing about 5 pounds during my study time from lack of exercise and just not eating very well. I just kinda shrivled over the months.

I ended up taking a yoga class 2 nights a week right after work. It was definitely a good workout physically and mentally relaxing.

I remember hesitating before signing up and thinking I can't afford the time to do this, then realized, I can't afford not to get some sort of exercise.

The days I exercised I felt much livelier in the evning to work.

I hear ya Sapper. It wasn't until I deployed that I found time to study during my down time and even then there was weeks I was too busy being out and about. Its tough. It will happen, just gotta keep with it! :study Essayon!

thats my plan for this time a round, I did an honest 2 months of studying about 2 hours during the week(each night) and then took a prep course, which was worthless on the weekends, my last month I found myself studying for 15 minutes and then losing interest fast. I hope I have new sense of motivation. <<Darth Vader Voice>>
I think another mistake I made was abandoning my exercise routine, I could really tell I was out of energy at night..

I will be glad when my wife is back working days, cause having pick up duty, feeding them hogs, entertaining them , bathing, combing her majesty's hair (the daughter) and then putting them to bed at around 8:30 is enough to make me start drinking right after...
getting motivation, that's the big one there for me... that's why I only studied the week before... because I changed jobs and my new contract stipulated I was to become a PE within 6 months... so the 4 days I studied, I put about 8 to 10 hrs/day refreshing the concepts and making sure I knew where to find the material I judged most likely to appear on the exam... heck, it worked!! :D

Back