Tony Stewart

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If someone ran onto the interstate at night while cars were doing 70 mph I don't think I would look at it as someone died because of my actions... Someone died because of their actions....

That mirrors my thoughts EXACTLY.

News reports stating that the kid racing was high, and they commented that the levels of weed in his system was enough to "impair judgment".

That was something they should have disclosed to the family only. Just my personal opinion. It is like they are justifying the incident. Regardless, it was HIS and HIS fault. He had no business in the middle of a dark track with cars running around.

I disagree completely. I think that's something that absolutely should have been publicized. It place emphasis on the fact that drugs and alcohol have absolutely no place in racing, and that being under the influence of ANYTHING jeopardizes your life and the lives of those around you.

It also places emphasis on the fact that getting out of your car and stomping down to the middle of an active race track to throw a temper tantrum is YOUR FAULT, not the fault of the guy who hit you.

If someone ran onto the interstate at night while cars were doing 70 mph I don't think I would look at it as someone died because of my actions... Someone died because of their actions....

That mirrors my thoughts EXACTLY.
ditto and ditto.
Perhaps I worded it poorly.

The best way to explain it is that he watched someone die. We have counselors for our bus and lightrail train operators for just such occasion as when someone steps in front of their vehicle. They see the last time that person was alive and walking, and that $hit sticks with you, whether it's your fault or not.

Back