Those Crazy Confederates are still costing the US!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats right I forgot that they were tresspassing on our property!

However the best way around NEPA is to have a local funding source and NOT utilize Federal Money. makes ones life a whole lot easier......

Actually this is the fault of the imperialistic North, the Southern States freely entered into a Union, and they should have been allowed to freely exit it. so had the north not needed to eat and continue the unfair taxation of the South, and thus fired on Fort Sumter, then this war would not have been needed, and this ship would not have ever existed..

I just dont think anyone thinks this is worth $14 Million dollars to sit in a museum somewhere...Environmental Documents should require a B/C Analysis!
For the record, we fired on those Yankees out at Fort Sumter first.
Yep, but they was askin' fer it.
**** straight, and it wasn't a Civil War. A Civil War is a war in which both parties are vying for control over one central government. The War Between the States, or War of Northern Aggression was a war fought such that the imperial federal government could exert control over a constitutional decentralized confederation.

My grandmother grew up in Charleston and her grandfathers both fought for the Confederacy. She said her grandmother used to tell her stories about having to evacuate Charleston when they thought that ass-clown Sherman was approaching. She said her grandmother wouldn't allow the Battle Hymn of the Republic to be played in her presence till her dying day because it was a Yankee song.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of that $14 million is for the uxo...sorry, MEC (munitions and explosives of concern, using the current terms, as there is both UXO and gun powder present). It's an expensive task on land...let alone all the added issues being underwater.

Heres one example of why I despise NEPA..

Back in 2004, there was a parcel of land that was privately owned (adjacent to a National Park). Racetrac (big gas station chain) wanted to buy the land and put a gas station in, sell slushies, etc.. The County I live in purchased the land out from under race trac and donated the land to the National Park, so that there wouldnt be a gas station in the middle of a civil war battelfield national park (about a $1.5 Million dollar "gift") one of the stipulations was that the County would have a permanent easement along the frontage of the property for a future intersection project....(it is shown in the deeds as such)

Well a few years later time goes by and that county gets ready to build their project and the National Park System (greedy bastards who received a very nice "gift") said the easement is okay but they want a NEPA document before any work was done.. so the Document said that the County, who spent $1.5 Million to help the park, would have to bring in "Native" soil for any work done along the proprty frontage and plant "native" plants to accomodate for the work done inside the "park"

This was in Georgia... the NEPA process said the Native Soils would have to come from Kentucky and that the Native Plants would need to come from Virginia (No Fucking ****!!)

NEPA used to be about protecting the environment and now all it is is a paperwork exercise and an opportunity for agencies to use it as a way to generate revenue (receive work in exchange for allowing public works projects to be constructed in their vicinity)

Same County needed to replace a bridge over a RR inside a National Park (public Road, RR pre-dated Civil War,) Bridge was about to be closed.... NPS (through the NEPA Document) said that in order to grant a temporary easement to re construct the bridge (road right of way pre-dated National Park, but land around road was donated to NPS 100 years ago) that that County would have to construct a 150 space parking lot as "damages" to the park by reconstructing the bridge)

I don't run into NEPA very often, but the various state versions of it that fall under that law. Volumes and volumes of binders and years of delays just to conclude a turtle might be inconvenienced.

I'm with MA on this one. I'm all for a historical relic being preserved, but is it worth it for $14M for some rotting, rusty old boat?

If that "rotting, rusty old boat" was your ding-ding, would you want a dredging boat to tear it off?

Environmental laws have their place, but over the last thirty years or so, they have grown horribly, horribly out of control.

<insert hysteric Wolverine rant about power bill going up due to outlawing of coal here>

I'm paying close to 12 cents kW hr...what's the rate there?

Oh, and a five percent increase is already a done deal here...

5% rate hike is about $3 a month average for me. So, $36/yr, vs. the thousands I make building coal and nuclear power plants... :)

Back