Thermal Deformation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alejo12

Reaction score
hi everyone,

Need help understanding the negative sign when using the formula for change in length when experience a temperature change.

The problem I was solving states that a steel beam was subject to a temperature change from -10 to 40 degrees.

The solutions has:

T2=-10

T1=40 ... why ?

If the solution is correct , what should I do with the negative sign ?

will appreciate any help... thanks !

hi everyone, Need help understanding the negative sign when using the formula for change in length when experience a temperature change.

The problem I was solving states that a steel beam was subject to a temperature change from -10 to 40 degrees.

The solutions has:

T2=-10

T1=40 ... why ?

If the solution is correct , what should I do with the negative sign ?

will appreciate any help... thanks !
You need to know the overall change in temperature to figure out the change in length.

T1 = final temp

T2 = initial temp

Total temp change = T1 - T2 => 40 - (-10) = 40 + 10 = 50 degrees.

Think of it this way: The beam was heated up 10 degrees just to get it back to 0, and now it's being heated up an additional 40 degrees. The problem could have stated T1 = 100 and T2 = 50, but the answer would be the same since the change in temp is still 50.

like phalanx said all one really cares about is the change in temperature. I doesn't matter what the actual temperatures are. Going from -10 deg to 40 deg represents a 50 deg temperature differential. You'd see the same amount of thermal deformation if the beam had gone from 50 deg to 100 deg.

Back