The Worst Attraction in Every State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 If we're talking highways and food portions - yes.  But the mission was built in, what, the 1700s? What are people expecting?
Depiction of the Battle of the Alamo

battle-of-the-alamo.jpg

Actual Alamo

tourist_tourism_at_alamo.jpg

Ok, and...? I'm sorry downtown San Antonio was nonexistent in 1836 to temper yours and anyone else's expectations.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I grew up in Texas.  I think about 95% of Texas history they teach in school is the Alamo, so when you see it in person it's pretty disappointing.  And speaking of disappointing historical Texas monuments, have you been to the San Jacinto monument?  Hey, here is our version on the Washington Monument except it's bigger... 

...and surrounded by oil refineries!   🤣

I grew up in Texas.  I think about 95% of Texas history they teach in school is the Alamo, so when you see it in person it's pretty disappointing.  And speaking of disappointing historical Texas monuments, have you been to the San Jacinto monument?  Hey, here is our version on the Washington Monument except it's bigger... 

Me, too.  I, however, loved the Alamo field trips when I was a kid...Even BETTER than the San Jacinto monument, though is the statue of Sam Houston in Huntsville!

Haha yep, I grew up in Texas too (south Texas), but I didn't make it out to the Alamo until I was in my early 20s. By then, I'd heard so many disparaging things about it, but I wanted to appreciate it for what it is.  

I haven't been to the San Jacinto monument but that makes me laugh - it's not too far from one of my groundwater remediation sites.  

As a Louisiana native and resident. I strongly disagree with Bourbon St. being a bad "attraction". If you're looking for alcohol and partying, it is definitely the place to be. Both locals and tourist spend a lot of time there. Now if you're not interested in drinking and partying, then there's nothing for you on Bourbon St specifically, but you're still in the French Quarter which has a ton of history, shopping, eating, etc. 

Latest posts

Back