The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those orthopedic centers are opening everywhere you know. 

If you play your cards right you might just be the new $6 million dollar woman and you could run faster than those Olympians.

... or not.

If you play your cards right you might just be the new $6 million dollar woman and you could run faster than those Olympians.

... or not.
That'd be playing my cards really right! Haha. But I don't think I'm quite as fast as Jordan Hasay, unfortunately.

the daughter and I plan to bandit run a 10K on memorial day, I aint paying to run on public roads!!!

We used to do that at the Peachtree in Atlanta back in the day, was a blast and I don't need any more t-shirts :D

both my parents had their knees replaced at 55. both are slightly overweight. both worked 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day physical labor which included lots of standing and lifting.

I would not get into running because i've seen their pain.

safest thing for my knees is stationary bicycling, swimming, any other cardio which isn't intensive on my body.

80% of weight loss is dietary, 20% is physical activities. Dont get fooled by the fitness industry. (Calories In = Calories Out) and if your in active weight loss then (Calorie In < Calorie Out)

@Owism, I don't blame ya for not wanting to get into running for those reasons! Their lives sound much different from mine. I sit at a desk all day five days a week, am not overweight, and do little physical activity outside of working out or commuting.

@Owism, I don't blame ya for not wanting to get into running for those reasons! Their lives sound much different from mine. I sit at a desk all day five days a week, am not overweight, and do little physical activity outside of working out or commuting.
True. I live that sedentary life as well. I've done some running before but without coaching I permanently injured myself at the ankle.  Theres definitely proper equipment you need for this sport unlike common understanding. Cant just get up and run.

Anyways. Ramadan is almost starting so this is a good time to try out the "Fasting" diet :)  

Yes, but there are statistics. Some physical therapists out there might argue otherwise. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My trail relay race in CO is this weekend! I'm super excited. 8 people, 120 miles (roughly), lots of elevation, camping, and running overnight. It's going to be awesome!

Where is it at? It's tough for me to do trail running in the mountains here and I live at this elevation, you must be in pretty good shape if you're coming in from out of town and hitting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is it at? It's tough for me to do trail running in the mountains here and I live at this elevation, you must be in pretty good shape if you're coming in from out of town and hitting it
Snowmass... The elevation is going to be fun! Haha. But I've gone and done races at elevation before. I did a similar race last year at 7500'. This is at 8000' with a peak at 9000'. Thankfully, my team is not competitive, so there's no pressure to run quickly. Typically when I trail run, and especially at elevation, I follow the "hike the uphill, jog the flats, and run the downhill" method. It has served me well. The biggest trick will be figuring out what one breath is worth up there, and how it corresponds to how much I push my muscles. I've been able to figure that out pretty quickly in the past, so I will be attempting to do that again this time.

Most places still have snow around 10,000 FT and up in case that's on your route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The race was a total blast! I survived, and it was amazing. The altitude was definitely no joke! Climbing from 7800' to 9000' and back down for a 6.7 mile loop as my third leg was definitely tough. But the views were fantastic! My whole team finished the 114.4 miles in less than 23.5 hours, and I think we all exceeded our expectations. We finished only 20 minutes off of our projected finishing time. I'm super proud!

Okay, done expressing my pleasure with this race. I would love, love, love to do it again.

Oh, and while there was no snow on our course, we definitely saw snow on the mountain caps that were likely above 10,000', though a lot of it did visibly melt over the few days we were there. Temperatures in the mid-80s that high up was pretty nuts! Also, the insanely low humidity was pretty interesting!

congrats!  I just found out my company had a team that placed 23 out of 400? on the same course (maybe I heard the total # of teams wrong) of course they didn't invite me to be on the team! (Damn skinny young people)

congrats!  I just found out my company had a team that placed 23 out of 400? on the same course (maybe I heard the total # of teams wrong) of course they didn't invite me to be on the team! (Damn skinny young people)
Wanna be on a team next year? :)

Hey guys!  I'm late to the thread, but I'm runner (or at least trying to be a runner).  About two years ago, I finally discovered a true love of running when I lived in Virginia in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  It was beautiful!  I actually raced a 10k on the day before my wedding.  Talk about forcing myself to train - I didn't want to limp down the aisle so I took my training very seriously. Unfortunately, we moved to Florida shortly after the wedding last summer and the heat has been killing my desire to run.  

Now, thanks to my sedentary work/study schedule during the months leading up to the PE exam, I've gained a few extra unwanted pounds so I signed up for a Disney Half Marathon next January.  Anyone else working off those PE pounds?

Leggo and RoadGuy, that overnight run sounds fun!

Yay, another runner! Welcome, @kpalframan!

I've heard great things about Disney races. I've never done one, but know several who have. It seems they really know how to put on an awesome, fun race. I have a friend who did the Dopey Challenge last year, and a different friend who did the Tinkerbell Challenge this year. 

The next race I'm signed up for that I'm excited about is the Giants Race in August. It ends on AT&T Field!

I'm also signed up for a 12k in July in which I'll be running across the GGB, for the first time actually. So that'll be fun!

Back