The Natural Order

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
RANT TIME!!!!!!

In my 17 + years working as an engineer in both the private sector (big and small) and state government, I have observed a certain pecking order. It is evidenced in many ways, but on my mind at the moment, primarily by SALARY and RESPECT:

The Natural Order:

1. The "A-student", most skilled and knowledgable engineers and environmental professionals own engineering or environmental consulting businesses. They are smart, confident, go-getters who make the wheels of commerce turn. If only they could be in charge of this country, everything would be just fine. (sarcasm is difficult to convey on-line. trust me, it's dripping here) They don't actually do anything, but they make their money by relying on the efforts of:

2. The "B-students", slightly less skilled and knowledgeable engineers and environmental professionals working for the A students in their private firm or consultint business. They are smart, hard workers who generally know more than their bosses, but just don't have the guts to move out on their own yet. On the surface, they appear to be "experts", but their knowledge is generally shallower than they would lead you to believe, primarily because the A-students will not allow them to work on anything long enough to gain true proficiency.

3. The "C-student", totally averagely skilled and knowledgable engineers and environmental professionals work for the federal government in a non-regulatory position (Corps of Engineers, NAVFAC, USDA, etc.) They are non-threatening paper-pushers who administer the grants that fund the A and B students, and generally will not question the work of the B-students, as they believe themselves to be inferior at technical tasks, and believe that the sheer volume of work produced by the B-students make them superior.

4. The "D-student", below-average and not terribly knowledgable or creative engineers and environmental professionals work for federal regulatory agencies - USEPA, USFWS, etc. The D-students often, unwittingly perform much of the work for the B-students. They may be extremely knowledgable about one or more narrow subjects, yet have cannot be trusted with important decisions that may affect commerce. That is why the command structure of the federal agencies removes any single person from any level of useful authority, or even knowledge of how the whole thing fits together. Large, important decisions may only be made by politically appointed administrators, who generally do not even read the reports of their technical staff.

5. The "F-students", the bottom of the barrel, most unskilled, unknowledgable, least creative engineers and environmental professionals work for State government. They are the last stop for any B-student who is designing a project or applying for a permit. A true A-student will never have any interface with them. Contact is only for junior-level B-students, or their assistants. The F-students are but a speedbump, yet an incredibly unpleasant one. They are often even more knowledgable and skilled than their federal counterparts. In actuality, many of them are/were true "A students" in the academic sense of the word, but are viewed as mere licensing clerks. They would probably garner more respect if they wore brown uniforms with "McGreasy's" emdroidered above their name tags. And you better believe that they would be spitting on the burgers, if they did. Similar to the D-students working for the federal government, the F-students down at the State Capitol actually perform even more of the B-students work for them, but this is never acknowledged. To become friendly with an F-student is to risk demotion from B to C status.

This, of course is absolute bullshit. But it is the structure that my favorite consluttant seems to believe in, and when it gets turned on its head :D , it's time for him to step in and remind everyone of the Natural Order, and attempt to restructure it to his liking.

:smileyballs: :unitedstates:

(yeah, I feel better now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im surprised that in 17 year you still find that people associate with their grades in school. My experience, albeit much shorter, has been that people automatically sift themselves based on personalities. The Go-getters and movers lean forward until they find the people that are road blocks, then work around them. The next time they find themselves in a similar situation, they just automatically work around where the roadblock *was*. This process repeats and repeats until ultimately the Go-getter are interfacing with other Go-getters and the stumps are working through other stumps.

This guy sounds like a jerk. Does he have some particular beef with you? Or is he just annoyed that he has to interact with someone "beneath" him?

I personally believe that even an f student can spend long nights studying at home to improve themselves and then gather all of the ambition inside themselves and succeed.

I just didn't understand your comment BIO.

Dleg - why does him knowing about your new duties mean trouble for you?

ONCE AGAIN: THE ABOVE IS A SARCASTIC, TOTALLY WRONG VIEW OF THINGS

Maybe some of you are reading this too literally. The "grades" are just my tongue-in-cheek way of separating the nartual order as seen in the prejudiced, back-assward view of my "favorite" consultant (also dripping with sarcasm. He is not my favorite anything). I'm not referring to actual school performance.

Frazil, yes, this guy has it in for me from a long history of problems. We started off as sort-of friends. He was my environmental consultant on a couple of dredging projects that I was construction manager for when I was in the private sector. But I honestly think he has issues "working with others" and especially with his oddly militant Libertarian beliefs that the government is just wrong, at all times, and should get out of the way. Since I went to the dark side (gubment), he has taken personal offense to a number of controversial permit decisions and enforcement actions that I have been a part of, against his clients.

Ordinarily I wouldn't hold that against anyone, as it would just as easily be ME that is the problem. But I don't seem to have the same problems with the vast majority of other cosultants and engineers, all of whom I've been in similar permitting and enforcement conflicts with. Yet, they still treat me like a human being and fully understand the separation of work and personal lives. This guy is out for my head.

Just one of the perils of living in a small place, I guess.

It's just an educated guess. He's gone after me (behind my back and over my head) several times in the last few years, especially during this anti-regulation administration.

^^Oh, I forgot the most important reason I suspect an attack.

Two people told me the story of how he found out. There was an enforcement meeting this morning and he was there representing his client. He asked who to contact regarding the air permit, and they gave him my name. Both my sources said he literally dropped his notebook on the table, dropped his jaw, looked at the director of the enforcement agency (coastal zone), and said "You've got to be kidding." and then left the meeting.

:15:

Very nice rant! :thumbs:

As a fellow state regulator, it has been my experience over the last ten years to watch a steady decline in the QUALITY of product that comes out of regulatory agencies. Often times, I sadly find myself commiserating with the consultant and/or client regarding directions proffered by regulatory agencies. Unfortunately, we find ourselves caught in that crossfire and taking the abuse for others (adminstrators of the regulatory program) who cannot EFFECTIVELY communicate regulatory rationale on a project-by-project basis.

If it's any consolation, at least you aren't King of Micronesian Waste Management Collection!

13.gif

JR

Maybe I did not understand yours Fraz. When I read it the sound of 99 mph fastball, high and in, came to my mind. When that happens you can hear the sound of the wind going thru the seams of the ball....Ziiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggg. That is the sound, sort of.

For some reason I thought you were throwing a fast high and in to someone. Now I realize you did not.

Sorry for the inconvenience. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice rant! :thumbs:
As a fellow state regulator, it has been my experience over the last ten years to watch a steady decline in the QUALITY of product that comes out of regulatory agencies. Often times, I sadly find myself commiserating with the consultant and/or client regarding directions proffered by regulatory agencies. Unfortunately, we find ourselves caught in that crossfire and taking the abuse for others (adminstrators of the regulatory program) who cannot EFFECTIVELY communicate regulatory rationale on a project-by-project basis.

If it's any consolation, at least you aren't King of Micronesian Waste Management Collection!

13.gif

JR
I've only been a state regulator for 5.5 years and I have noticed that same trend. It's very frustrating. My section works with Department of Defense to get the work done properly. We discuss with them what we need or want, a two way conversation of sorts. Everywhere else in the Agency and they just chug through a checklist and reject or approve. They don't tell the contractor what is missing, they are left to figure it out on their own. It causes troubles if our program intersects with others for reviewing, because they give us the same non-descript response and We have to figure out what they mean so we can then relay it back to DOD.

Interesting. Trying to dissect this guy from the inside out...

Libertarianism in it's pure form is impractical at best (and I like Libertarianism). Maybe this guy is locked into the philosophy and sees ANY government interaction as an impediment? Could be arrogance based on lack of self worth. Ultimitely, business is business and should be approached professionally, even though some try to make it a personal or emotional issue. Don't let it get to you. Be pro' bro'.

Both my sources said he literally dropped his notebook on the table, dropped his jaw, looked at the director of the enforcement agency (coastal zone), and said "You've got to be kidding." and then left the meeting.
:15:
Just last week I had a guy call me with a question. I'm pretty sure he knew the answer, but he didn't like it when i gave it to him. He yelled, "I knew it was a waste of time to call you guys! Thanks a lot!" Then slammed the phone down.

I thought about calling him back and saying, "I think we got disconnected," but decided that would probably just make him madder.

I'm feeling much better today. The rant got a lot of my frustration with this A-hole out of my system. My boss has been "sick" so far all week, and so any attempt to get me can has been thwarted by plain old, business-as-usual, Monday morning hangover tardiness (my guess, anyway). We'll see if he comes in to work today, and if I get the call to come in to his offce "I need to speak with you..."

Wolverine, this guy is a LIbertarian of convenience only, as I;ve found most people who claim to hold LIbertarian beliefs are. The philosophy appears to be very comforting and convenient when you're angry about something the government is asking of you, yet is also very easy to just throw away as soon as you aren't satisfied with something the government is supposed to be doing for you. But anyway, this guy has many layers of fucked-uppedness. I can't go pinning it on his part-time political leanings.

heh, heh. heh. "Libertarian of Convenience". L.O.C. I like that, and oh so true.

I'm a staunch Libertarian, except when I want the government to build more bike lanes, or when my neighbor paints his house an ugly color, or when I get a tax rebate.

Back