The hardest Geotech test?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was hard as hell...I will agree with you on that one....the wording on the test was extremely confusing...

It was hard as hell...I will agree with you on that one....the wording on the test was extremely confusing...
The afternoon GeoTech was as hard as they come. If the various disciplines are graded separately, they should discount the Geotech some because some of the questions were so obscure I couldn't have solved it if I had two weeks. I still can't find the solution to some of the problems and I have been looking for them since Saturday.

The morning was easy though, I hope that helps to make up for some of the wicked questions in the PM.

I also thought this particular exam was unfairly skewed because to many of the questions seem to be concentrated in one geotech area.

Ken,

I have been trying to find info on a particular test question too, and have yet to find ANYTHING

Ken,
I have been trying to find info on a particular test question too, and have yet to find ANYTHING
How weird is that?. I have scoured my books and used the internet and stillno answer. I wonder why the writers thought I should know this particular fact. I guessed intelligently and wanted to see how dumb I really was but I can't even confirm that.

Ktulu, how did it go for you? I am feeling better with each passing day. I was a little down because I did not nail the afternoon like I did the morning but with time I am feeling better because I got stumped on some of the afternoon questions but no where near half the questions so ..we wait and hope and pray.

How weird is that?. I have scoured my books and used the internet and stillno answer. I wonder why the writers thought I should know this particular fact. I guessed intelligently and wanted to see how dumb I really was but I can't even confirm that.
Ktulu, how did it go for you? I am feeling better with each passing day. I was a little down because I did not nail the afternoon like I did the morning but with time I am feeling better because I got stumped on some of the afternoon questions but no where near half the questions so ..we wait and hope and pray.
Ken,

I gree the morning was pretty fair, but in the aftenoon they have some F#$k question particular the wording!!! PM me.

Honestly, I feel like the AM session will make or break me, b/c I left not having a very good feeling about the PM session. It was just flat out frustration for me...

Oh well, at least after the exam I had a few beers with my wife, kid, and parents (who I don't get to see often, so it nice to eat some fresh seafood and down a couple cold beers with the Pops)

Honestly, I feel like the AM session will make or break me, b/c I left not having a very good feeling about the PM session. It was just flat out frustration for me...
Oh well, at least after the exam I had a few beers with my wife, kid, and parents (who I don't get to see often, so it nice to eat some fresh seafood and down a couple cold beers with the Pops)
K,

Me too!! guzzle a six pack of beer after the exam. I felt like the dumbest ass engineer!!!

i took a quick peek at the geo section last time, that thing looked brutal as hell. I would take the easy way out and do WR!

i took a quick peek at the geo section last time, that thing looked brutal as hell. I would take the easy way out and do WR!
I thought about doing the easy wayout, but since I do geotech it will be crappy if I don't do geo...

I took that hard as %* Geotech section in October. My morning session must have saved me because I don't think I snagged 50% on the afternoon. Just sleep tight with the thought that the cut score for the Geotech must be WAY low.

I took that hard as %* Geotech section in October. My morning session must have saved me because I don't think I snagged 50% on the afternoon. Just sleep tight with the thought that the cut score for the Geotech must be WAY low.
Is it true that the cut score is different for each section? I am pretty confident that I did very well on the morning. I am not down on the PM section but feel ok with it. I think someone should recognize that the afternoon was harder than usual. I pretty much could have studied a single topic in depth and nailed it but here I was running around reading up on stuff that even never attempted to show up. Bummer. We wait...

Is it true that the cut score is different for each section? I am pretty confident that I did very well on the morning. I am not down on the PM section but feel ok with it. I think someone should recognize that the afternoon was harder than usual. I pretty much could have studied a single topic in depth and nailed it but here I was running around reading up on stuff that even never attempted to show up. Bummer. We wait...
I hope it is true that they set a cut score seperately for each module. It makes sense that they would. April was not my first shot (or second) at the Geotech section. Actually, I was pleased at the questions they asked. I must have studied the right stuff. I remember only flat-out guessing at two questions, which is not consistant with the amount of guessing I did on previous exams. Hopefully, if I did as well as I THINK I did, and the set score is low, I will come away with my PE. Like you said - We wait....

I hope it is true that they set a cut score seperately for each module. It makes sense that they would. April was not my first shot (or second) at the Geotech section. Actually, I was pleased at the questions they asked. I must have studied the right stuff. I remember only flat-out guessing at two questions, which is not consistant with the amount of guessing I did on previous exams. Hopefully, if I did as well as I THINK I did, and the set score is low, I will come away with my PE. Like you said - We wait....
I wonder what the PG exam looks like compared with PE Geotech module.

I wonder what the PG exam looks like compared with PE Geotech module.
I did not take the PG exam, but if you look on the ASBOG website you will find a sample exam. It is NOTHING like the PE exam. I am looking foward to passing it on the first shot once I get the PE out of the way. Not to say it is not worth studying for - you have to know geology. But it is closed book, you just bring a straight edge and a calculator. If you were a decent geo student, and have some on-going professional exposure - in my opinion this test should not be a problem. I would love to hear other opinions (especially from PG / PEs)

LXZ- one more thing - if you go to the "other exams" topic (or is the term "thread"?) you will get some opinion on the PG.
PEPG- Thanks for your information. My background is Water Resources. After I get my PE, I'll find out whether I want to face some chanllenge.

I took Geotech and actually found out I passed it in MO. I thought Morning was good, afternoon was brutal. I was really in the gray zone as far as my feelings about passing / failing. In any event, it's over, i'm done.

I JUST DON'T KNOW!!

i studied all my foundations, retaining walls, footings . . . . .

and i saw crap on that PM GEO section i HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF before!!

i had Lindburg, 4 GEO textbooks and online review notes and NOTHING in any of those resources helped me on a bunch of those questions . . .

in fact NONE of those references even MENTIONED some of the subjects that were on the exam . . .

HOW IN THE NAME of all thats good can they put questions on that exam that arent even covered in 4 geotech textbooks??? or even MENTIONED AT ALL??!!

Back