THE DRUNK TANK... 2.0

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking wine.  Doubt this will end well.  Never do wine or liquor 

Thant much. Anyhow

I drank an entire bottle of Basil Hayden, plus a healthy pour of Blanton's and Whistle Pig Rye, plus a dozen or so beers over the course of the last few days.  Family really brings out my urge to drink.

Had my first few drinks in a long time over the holiday.  MIL's boyfriend has good taste in booze!  Lots of sipping on Macallan Quest and JW Blue Label!

It's Tuesday.  I KNOw I'm not the only one in here. 

OK.  How many birds do you get from your true love during the 12 days of Christmas?  I already know.  I made a spreadsheet...

It's Tuesday.  I KNOw I'm not the only one in here. 

OK.  How many birds do you get from your true love during the 12 days of Christmas?  I already know.  I made a spreadsheet...
i think it depends if you consider the geese as laying down, or laying eggs? and if you consider an egg a future bird. 

i think it depends if you consider the geese as laying down, or laying eggs? and if you consider an egg a future bird. 
Let's break this down.  The use of "laying" in the aforementioned song can imply one of two common outcomes - laying an egg and laying down.  This has already been stated, but I am restating it at the beginning of this problem because "engineer".  The "lay" part for "passing eggs" is obvious.  However, when it comes to posturing oneself or being in a "down" position, the difference between "lay" and "lie" are small, but profound.  "Lay" requires an object to be "verbed" and is used when something is to be placed - ex: "Lay down your weapon and step out of the car!"  "Lie", on the other hand, is for when one is moving oneself into, or already in, a down position - ex: "Lie down with your hands behind your back!"

So, going further, "six geese a laying", who is laying the geese?  Themselves?  Are they laying themselves?  Probably not.  They don't have phalanges.  And they're not "six geese a lying" as they would be putting themselves down or this could even be convoluted into a "what are the geese lying about" debate.  That's something the song originators probably thought long and hard about before settling on "six geese a laying".

Finally, this song is suggested to be one of religious origin and some postulate secret meanings to this song as a way to teach children about Christmas.  For the sixth day, "laying", the hidden meaning is for the six days of creation.  Creation being the key word.  This lends credence to tj's "future bird" concept.  Interesting.

Ergo, for the sake of this particular Christmas lyric, "Six geese a laying", as we presume they are not laying each other down and the suggested religious origin, the geese are clearly laying eggs (creating) for "future birds".  Whether you want to include "future birds" in your official tally is left for those who have stake in receiving gifts as outlined in this song.

No, I'm not drunk.

Also, don’t count your geese before they are hatched.
a56627e458672138f6a12f6f9dd4927e.jpg

I did end up picking up some Basil Hayden....
One of my favorites.  Like it?  I'm drinking a Blanton's on the rocks at the moment.  Elmer T. Lee (my absolute favorite brown liquor) and Blanton's are the same grain bill.  But Blanton's is rare here, and Elmer T. Lee is rarer than Pappy Van Winkle.  

I have really enjoyed it!

Currently at the new Belgium brewery in Fort Collins with a few dozen dirty hippies....

276a9614e6f8a13990d8fc44edd81d89.jpg

Back