The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a simple cheesecake recipe for Easter dessert. Hoping for no more cracks, I already have one around the one edge....

Update: Actually not really any noticable cracks on this one, especially in the center. This is probably the first plain cheesecake I've ever made. Maybe that was the difference. I've usually made pumpkin, eggnog, or some other fancy holiday cheesecake. This recipe had sour cream in it that held it together and had me cut the edges of the cake as it came out of the oven so it doesn't stretch while cooling.

Attachments

• 20220415_205750.jpg
    20220415_205750.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Pretty happy with the crust, buuuut was impatient with the rise. Only 30 minutes vs the recommended 2 hours. But I was hungry! Will wait longer next time.

The bottom crust was my fav part, had the scrape-y cronchy texture I like. Will try again tonight. Be gentle, I AM NOT A BAKER.

52006147134_fe973a67a5_k.jpg

52006410870_2afcc4ee58_k.jpg
It looks yummy! But the rises are also vital, ha!

I didn’t get my proverbial ducks in a row to make focaccia but fear not, I’ll probably get them aligned this week!

Instead (well, it was planned anyway), I made chocolate cardamom sugar cookies for my friend’s bachelorette on Saturday. They were pretty good, by my standards anyway (which are too high, I think! Haha). No pictures were taken for documentary purposes though!

It looks yummy! But the rises are also vital, ha!

I didn’t get my proverbial ducks in a row to make focaccia but fear not, I’ll probably get them aligned this week!

Instead (well, it was planned anyway), I made chocolate cardamom sugar cookies for my friend’s bachelorette on Saturday. They were pretty good, by my standards anyway (which are too high, I think! Haha). No pictures were taken for documentary purposes though!
No pictures of the cookies or the Bachelorette party? 😆

A bit of almond chocolate chip cookies! D294C2F5-439A-4726-9B02-DA6842BBA095.jpeg

Almond, you say? Yes, this leggo unbelievably ran out of vanilla extract and had to supplement with a tiny bit of almond extract. It definitely altered the flavor, even though it was probably 1/4 almond to 3/4 vanilla. Mr. Leggo really enjoyed it! I think they’re good but would prefer all vanilla.

A bit of almond chocolate chip cookies! View attachment 27827

Almond, you say? Yes, this leggo unbelievably ran out of vanilla extract and had to supplement with a tiny bit of almond extract. It definitely altered the flavor, even though it was probably 1/4 almond to 3/4 vanilla. Mr. Leggo really enjoyed it! I think they’re good but would prefer all vanilla.
I would prefer all these cookies!

A bit of almond chocolate chip cookies! View attachment 27827

On the subject of almond extract - I def wish it came in bigger bottles in the store. I surprisingly use a lot when I bake, and I prefer it over vanilla. Now I might make biscotti this weekend...

I think almond extract provides a lot more flavor in smaller in amounts than vanilla extract! I definitely don’t use it as much as vanilla though.

Which starter to bake with…

• Sasha (OG starter, all purpose flour, slower speed starter rise)
• Boris (rye starter, medium speed starter rise and best oven rise)
• ? (Whole wheat starter, fastest speed starter rise, second best oven rise)

I need to make bread and need to figure out what exactly what to make!

Focaccia is always good! I did make it more recently than anything else besides bagels. I’m thinking more like a sandwich loaf and my typical boules — maybe a bit more on the white than whole wheat side. (I’ll still put whole wheat flour in there but maybe not like, 40-50% like I typically do).

I am still looking for a good sourdough sandwich loaf recipe! I don’t make sandwich loaves nearly as often as I do boules, so the progress in finding a good sandwich loaf recipe has been slower going for sure. Maybe it’s time to try another one! Maybe something with rye….

Back