Teaching kid to drive

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given my grandpa's old 66 Chevy truck at 14 to rebuild with the condition it stays in the pasture, and I had to feed the cattle everyday along with haul fresh bailed hay to the barn. After 2 years of sanding, and lots of hard work rebuilding that truck, I was extra cautious when I got my license. I also learned how to get myself out of a jam in snow or mud since not feeding the cattle was not an option no matter the weather conditions.
This is kind of what we are hoping for tex-jr. Right now, he has a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser; he wants to fix that up enough to sell it and buy a pre-1973 Mustang. He's doing all of the work with the help of his dad. I kind of think that once you have that kind of investment in a car, you tend to be a little more careful with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was given my grandpa's old 66 Chevy truck at 14 to rebuild with the condition it stays in the pasture, and I had to feed the cattle everyday along with haul fresh bailed hay to the barn. After 2 years of sanding, and lots of hard work rebuilding that truck, I was extra cautious when I got my license. I also learned how to get myself out of a jam in snow or mud since not feeding the cattle was not an option no matter the weather conditions.
This is kind of what we are hoping for tex-jr. Right now, he has a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser; he wants to fix that up enough to sell it and buy a pre-1973 Mustang. He's doing all of the work with the help of his dad. I kind of think that once you have that kind of investment in a car, you tend to be a little more careful with it...
I didn't mention that rebuilding meant cutting out wooden bed, and replacing it. 150 plus bolts that had to be torched out. It also had rust pockets that needed repaired, and filled with Bondo along with a dent in one bumper that had to be filled, and sanded down to perfection. I replaced the seat in the interior with a brand new 1981 Chevy seat. It was amazing to find that many parts would fit and work between models because the engineers never really designed anything from scratch.

When I finally sold it when I was 20 years old, the tires that I put on it when I was 16 were hardly worn. The guy I sold it to got a steal. I was heading off to college in TX, and wanted something with air conditioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back