Tabbing Reference Material

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokie95

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of tabbing my codes. Are there any suggestions for important sections to tab in code books like ACI 318 or ASCE 7-16 etc..?

I would follow the NCEES spec sheet and try to tab as best you can based on that.

Some other suggestions.

1. Don't "overtab". If you do, you will have so many tabs that it is more difficult to find a particular tab defeating the purpose of tabbing all together.
2. Don't rush the tabbing process. Let it become a tool/process for getting familiar with the codes.
3. Leave a 2-3" space near the middle of the pages without tabs. (Tab just toward the top and bottom of the pages). This will give you space to still use your thumb on the page edges. Your thumb won't get caught on a tab. Trust me on this one, it was a big issue for me for the first component that I took and I probably wasted 5 minutes having to individually turn pages in my steel code. I also "overtabbed" my steel code so that didn't help either.

IMO for ASCE tab chapters 11 & 12 and become so familiar with them that you won't need tabs within them. Tab chapters 26-30 and the qz/h equation and it's variables. You'll know what to tab as you work through practice problems.

Back