T minus 'x' # of days. . .

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
51 days as of today for FE! yikes, i need to finish the FERM to start looking at Civil DS - things seem suddenly more urgent now that August is gone - how is everyone else doing with their studies?

I guess now's a bad time to say that I'm only 1/3 through the FERM. I'm making damned sure I know math, chem, and statics/dynamics.

E&M needs some major attention since all I can remember is freaking Ohm's Law, but I think I'll crank through the "easy for me" stuff first - thermo, fluids, materials. Math has been such a struggle that I need some quick wins for a little while. I finished statics last week and did well on the FERM diagnostic. This week is kinematics/kinetics and I hope to do just as well because I really need a bit of an emotional boost after all that math.

I'm doing the General DS. I have the Mechanical DS prep book but decided pretty quickly that my time would be best spent on General.

When I got behind studying for the EIT I just studied the areas that I knew. I figured there was no point learning anything else, I jsut better brush up on what I knew. You hae plenty of time left, so dont panic yet but if you get there, you might want to consider that.

Good luck you guys!

I echo squishles here. My preparation for EIT isn't worth following since my "personal" syllabus kept shrinking each passing week. I studied only the areas (read Math, Chemistry, Statics) that I knew I had some hope of scoring. It worked well, but not the best strategy I must say so take it for what it's worth.

I'm still on the practice exam no.1 by Robert H. Kim and Lindeburg. Still confused on some areas, coz I noticed that he used a different phi over NCEE's reference manual. Well, that's what I think otherwise I'm analyzing it the wrong way. lolz

I still hope that I could remember all the materials I went through. :brickwall:

I echo squishles here. My preparation for EIT isn't worth following since my "personal" syllabus kept shrinking each passing week. I studied only the areas (read Math, Chemistry, Statics) that I knew I had some hope of scoring. It worked well, but not the best strategy I must say so take it for what it's worth.
I've been plowing pretty steadily thru FERM - down to last 6 chapters anyways (i go about a chapter a day). I was just on the electrostatics, DC, AC, 3-phase electrical stuff when i realized I had never had any AC exposure in school; we skipped that chapter in my Physics (wonderful). And because its a freakishly jacked-up subject, i had no guilt just totally blowing it off (hey, speeds the review up). I want at least a solid month to review civil DS, and then the final weeks for touch up, poss. practice exams.

I'm still on the practice exam no.1 by Robert H. Kim and Lindeburg. Still confused on some areas, coz I noticed that he used a different phi over NCEE's reference manual. Well, that's what I think otherwise I'm analyzing it the wrong way. lolz
I still hope that I could remember all the materials I went through. :brickwall:
A different phi. . ..?

I've been plowing pretty steadily thru FERM - down to last 6 chapters anyways (i go about a chapter a day). I was just on the electrostatics, DC, AC, 3-phase electrical stuff when i realized I had never had any AC exposure in school; we skipped that chapter in my Physics (wonderful). And because its a freakishly jacked-up subject, i had no guilt just totally blowing it off (hey, speeds the review up). I want at least a solid month to review civil DS, and then the final weeks for touch up, poss. practice exams.

A different phi. . ..?
resistance factors

Honestly, I'm leaving E&M for the end of my prep schedule, in case I'm slowed down. I had one electrical engineering class in college (which I hated), and I honestly didn't pay tons of attention to my E&M Physics semester. I suspect that if it isn't punch & crunch I will probably be guessing "C" for most of those questions.

I've absolutely ripped through statics and most of dynamics (cranked through both kinematics and kinetics in about an hour and a half last night). That feels encouraging, to say the least, after the struggles I've had with math.

The day before the exam, I'll be off work but have no intention of studying. If I don't know if by then, I'm not going to learn it in time - plus Mr. Bug and I are going on vacation the day after the test, and I'm going to need time to pack! :D

Honestly, I'm leaving E&M for the end of my prep schedule, in case I'm slowed down. I had one electrical engineering class in college (which I hated), and I honestly didn't pay tons of attention to my E&M Physics semester. I suspect that if it isn't punch & crunch I will probably be guessing "C" for most of those questions.
I've absolutely ripped through statics and most of dynamics (cranked through both kinematics and kinetics in about an hour and a half last night). That feels encouraging, to say the least, after the struggles I've had with math.

The day before the exam, I'll be off work but have no intention of studying. If I don't know if by then, I'm not going to learn it in time - plus Mr. Bug and I are going on vacation the day after the test, and I'm going to need time to pack! :D
that's one thing to looked forward to, wooohooo, we all need a vacation after this. Actually, back to my home country when I took the exam I was either too excited or to nervous that I woke up too early. sheeze, although I was able to pull it through I hope it wont happen again. lol

I think it helps that I'm not under any sort of job-related pressure to get this thing, you know? If I bomb the test in October, I can always try again in April when I will have seen the sort of questions on the exam and will know a little better how to manage my time.

I alternate between optimism and despair, depending which topic I'm reviewing.

For me, the stess is there because i have no job. . .and i'm banking a little on EIT initials under my LSIT initials on the ol resume may grab a little more attention(?) - Yeah, April is a fallback option, but man, i don't wanna be studying for this cursed thing come winter-time. I guess if they send a diagnostic like some folks have posted, at least I'd know the areas needing attention, which would help w/ the studying.

Working on the cash flow problems in FERM - man i love the solve function on my casio, i don't worry about clearing out exponents or logs out of an equation, i just have it solve for the missing variable :thumbs: - just have to watch use of the solve feature when working w/ trig or periodic functions

You're using a Casio, too? Mine is the fx-115ES. I thought they'd have to pry my TI out of my cold, dead hands but I really like that calculator. I love the equation solver, the numeric integration (so long as you watch the results on trig functions), complex numbers, and the vector and matrix operations. And I like the "natural" math display, it looks like how I write the equation so I know I keyed it in correctly. Great little calculator for all of $18.

I snuck a peek at the NCEES sample exam book and feel more relieved about the morning section at least! Those problems seem much easier than the "FE Style" ones in the FERM. I wasn't going to look at the sample exam until I took it, but I couldn't help it. I assume the afternoon questions are harder and more like the end of chapter problems in the FERM. I want to get the NCEES sample exam book for the General (I have the Mechanical, because I previously thought I'd do the Mechanical DS).

I also really don't want to be studying for this over the winter!

You're using a Casio, too? Mine is the fx-115ES. I thought they'd have to pry my TI out of my cold, dead hands but I really like that calculator. I love the equation solver, the numeric integration (so long as you watch the results on trig functions), complex numbers, and the vector and matrix operations. And I like the "natural" math display, it looks like how I write the equation so I know I keyed it in correctly. Great little calculator for all of $18.
I snuck a peek at the NCEES sample exam book and feel more relieved about the morning section at least! Those problems seem much easier than the "FE Style" ones in the FERM. I wasn't going to look at the sample exam until I took it, but I couldn't help it. I assume the afternoon questions are harder and more like the end of chapter problems in the FERM. I want to get the NCEES sample exam book for the General (I have the Mechanical, because I previously thought I'd do the Mechanical DS).

I also really don't want to be studying for this over the winter!
I have studied for this exam for two years now, and pretty much I have memorized all FE problems from NCEES, "the other board" and Civil DS and right now I can still remember most of the questions for the last 4 exams, "the other board"'s are more difficult than the actual FE Exams.

Good luck everyone, I hope all will pass it!

yeah i've been giving a 2nd run (skimming) thru the FERM and feel a little better about those subjects after going thru it the 1st time. I got some NCEES practice probs coming next week via Fedex; am general, pm civil. So its just down to running thru as many practice probs / exams as i can in the next 2 weeks or so. Think i'm pretty well set, though going thru the FERM practice exams next week may prove otherwise.

The casios do rock - i have both the 115ES & 115MS (backup). The ES can do more and its 'menu board' is way better laid out. Despite that, i like the clearer display the MS offers, and there are other subtle differences I prefer on it (one being the SOLVE feature). Nonetheless the MS is the backup simply cuz the ES does everything i will need for the exam. Keep studying - good luck all of us

hey guys,

Are the NCEE's online sample questions different from the NCEE's sample examination book for FE?

Back