Super Special 5K

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work Bly.

I think the next laptop will get a solid state drive
they really are nice. writing files is slower but accessing and running software and files is quick
hmm, I'll be sure to look into it more when I'm hunting for laptops
Not necessarily LJ. Depends on what SSD you get. The flagship variety are fast at both reading AND writing. Especially if you tweak them accordingly. IMO, they are seriously night and day difference as compared to the conventional magnetic style drives. Any time I upgrade someone's laptop with a SSD, they're usually respond with, "Wow, what did you do?!" LOL

All PCs in my house are equipped with primary SSDs and secondary HDDs. I have regular HDDs in all my servers too. :)
You may very well be correct. I was just relaying what our I.T. guy told me for loading a new engineering Laptop for one of my guys...

^ sorry son, but I have benchmarks to prove there is no may. It is correct. ;)

I've got an intel core i7 3.4 GHz processor

8 GB RAM

74 GB HD and 1.33 GB free

nothing is stored on the machine other than for software purposes
Well you've certainly got the horsepower under the hood. Indeed your bottleneck is the H/D. Bly's suggestion should certainly improve things for you.

And if you want to see what's eating up all the space, download and install WinDirStat. Awesome utility to use when you want to find out what's taking up H/D space. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
My last office refused to get me a larger HD, so I added a removeable 1TB hard drive on a hot swap system. I reset a bunch of the parameters to utilize this added drive as the temp storage location. My machine became the main work horse and no longer had major lag issues in the department.

When I left, I took the drive with me and it's now in my computer at home. Works great!
This is what I have except I don't have all of the temporary folders set yet. Everything else that I save is on the external. (I only have 5.3 GB left on the 120 GB SSHD)

The new laptops have twice what I have for storage.

^ sorry son, but I have benchmarks to prove there is no may. It is correct. ;)

I've got an intel core i7 3.4 GHz processor

8 GB RAM

74 GB HD and 1.33 GB free

nothing is stored on the machine other than for software purposes
Well you've certainly got the horsepower under the hood. Indeed your bottleneck is the H/D. Bly's suggestion should certainly improve things for you.

And if you want to see what's eating up all the space, download and install WinDirStat. Awesome utility to use when you want to find out what's taking up H/D space. :thumbs:
The response I received is therefore likely a result of me asking why it took so long to load the software I needed on the computer... I.T. :shakes head:

well its the closest I can find to what I have in short order; but it's really similar

Sometimes its better to be left out in the cold; you'll likely be better at something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back