Super Special 5K

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
working toward 100k

:bananalama:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Bly.

I think the next laptop will get a solid state drive
they really are nice. writing files is slower but accessing and running software and files is quick
hmm, I'll be sure to look into it more when I'm hunting for laptops
Not necessarily LJ. Depends on what SSD you get. The flagship variety are fast at both reading AND writing. Especially if you tweak them accordingly. IMO, they are seriously night and day difference as compared to the conventional magnetic style drives. Any time I upgrade someone's laptop with a SSD, they usually respond with, "Wow, what did you do?!" LOL

All PCs in my house are equipped with primary SSDs and secondary HDDs. I have regular HDDs in all my servers too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an intel core i7 3.4 GHz processor

8 GB RAM

74 GB HD and 1.33 GB free

nothing is stored on the machine other than for software purposes

^Uh, there's your problem. Only 1.33 GB free will KILL your ACAD session in short order. Not enough temp storage space, it can eat through that in short order!

You need a HD upgrade, STAT!

^Uh, there's your problem. Only 1.33 GB free will KILL your ACAD session in short order. Not enough temp storage space, it can eat through that in short order!

I know. they refuse to. I am continuously handcuffed around here

Do your USB ports work?

If so, get a 32GB flash drive and reset ACAD & Windows to utilize it as the temp storage location. You'll have a better work session; it's the best I can recommend without replacing the hard drive yourself (or adding one).

Do your USB ports work?

If so, get a 32GB flash drive and reset ACAD & Windows to utilize it as the temp storage location. You'll have a better work session; it's the best I can recommend without replacing the hard drive yourself (or adding one).
good call. I'll have to give that a shot

My last office refused to get me a larger HD, so I added a removeable 1TB hard drive on a hot swap system. I reset a bunch of the parameters to utilize this added drive as the temp storage location. My machine became the main work horse and no longer had major lag issues in the department.

When I left, I took the drive with me and it's now in my computer at home. Works great!

I should also note that my immediate supervisor was cool with it, he provided the hot swap system!

I did have to reset everything back when I left, but it was worth it to have a working machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back