Stupid - cost myself money thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?
Reaction score
Too embarassed last week to write in, but figured I might as well see how many others are stupid, just like me...

Coming to work, Semi was merging and going about 50, my exit was coming up fast after this, didn't think anything about it, floored it and went around. Going about 75 when I moved infront of the Semi, and noticed that my exit ramp was at a dead standstill and traffic was backed up on the road solid brake lights. I slammed on the brakes and got over on the shoulder. No anti-lock brakes, and smoke was rolling out of the back of my car. Figured out what had traffic jammed. A Semi at the bottom of the exit, had pulled into the right lane to make a left turn (didn't want to clip the curb), but then the traffic signal never triggered. He finally made it through going on red eventually (another 300 yards of stopped traffic was behind me on the highway by the time he figured it out...

Nevertheless, start driving again, and now I've worn a flat spot on my tires where I smoked them locking them up. Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump... Nice. Going to have to replace at least 2 if not all 4 tires. I just put them on 2 years and 15 thousand miles ago. Sucks.

TD --

It sounds like you prefer replacing four tires to the alternative that your car remained in motion until acted upon by a different outside force.

I will empathize though - paying for car tires are like highway robbery !!!

JR

I put on 4 new tires before the winter. There's a good tire shop by me. Got the full set for $325. They get you in and out pretty quick and actually recommended a less expensive tire, feeling it was better than the more expensive one I was looking at.

It's still bloody murder to pay that much for a chunk of rubber though. But after buying the cheapo discount tires a couple times, and having to constantly change them, I realize you pay for what you get.

I go onto tirerack.com and use the reviews to find a good tire selection and compare prices. (rumor has it due to sheer volume, they have unbeatable prices). Of course, if you buy there, then you still need to have them balanced and installed. Next, I call some local tire stores to see what they will charge for the same sneakers installed. If there is a small to no difference (assuming $20-25/wheel mount and balance) then I just buy locally. If the difference is still >$100, I buy online and have them mounted and balanced at a local place (used Mieneke last time). I have done this with 3 sets of tires so far. I bought two sets locally and the third I bought from tirerack online, had shipped to me and i had them installed. Total cost was still $100 less than anyone else would quote me locally.

When I call the tire store, I honestly say "I can get this specific tire for $XXX on tirerack, what can you sell them to me for?" Some say they can't touch that price.

I have been very satisfied. For example, the factory tires on my car were Michelins P225-55R16 that retailed for ~$160/ea. Through the reviews I found some Yokohamas that matched all of the Michelin ratings (including the T-speed rating) for ~$75/ea. The Yoko's worked out great.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tires are BALD, and they are 17" and the cheapest I can find is about $150 each. There's a quick $600.

My windshield is broken all the way across the front, driving behind a freakin' semi on the interstate and it threw a rock at me.

But don't even get me started on stupid shit that I do that costs me money. I do it every week.

My wife will tell you that I am the King of that shit

My tires are BALD, and they are 17" and the cheapest I can find is about $150 each. There's a quick $600.
My windshield is broken all the way across the front, driving behind a freakin' semi on the interstate and it threw a rock at me.

But don't even get me started on stupid shit that I do that costs me money. I do it every week.

My wife will tell you that I am the King of that shit

I'm in the same boat with the 17's. Try the Tire Lady in Masontown. I know its a little bit of a drive (20 minutes from Motown). But she has the best prices I could find here. Before I got rid of the pickup, tires were 129.99 a piece in Masontown. Checked at Sears and they were 119.99. Thought, well hell, save me 40 bucks. Then Sears piles on the mounting, balancing, disposal, valve stems, etc. Told them to forget it. She is all inclusive and even checks the alignment for free.

$325 for 4 tires? Hahaha. I had to put rear tires on the toy a while back and they are 19" 335s. Unless you go with Kumho, you are stuck with the top of the line Michelin Pilot Sports with a custom profile. I think the two rears cost me about $1200.

My daily driver has 19" wheels (factory, and no, they don't spin backwards...yet) and while not as wide as those on the Lambo, they are still an odd size. I read somewhere that is is comparable in price to buy some cheap 20" wheels and tires as compared to just the tires for the oddball 19". One year in and that car has 2500 miles on it. I don't think it will need tires soon.

My Yukon takes big tires and thus they are pricey.

If I had made better decisions as far as vehicles, I could have retired by now from the money saved on tire expenditures. I have a buddy who buys tires ANYWHERE and I think he got the "Superguard" tires for his Accord for about $20/each. They are highq uality tires I am sure...

For tire shopping, tirerack is good as is Discount Tires Direct (www.tires.com).

-GT

I'll check out the on-line sites. I don't think I'm in this car much longer, so a cheapo set will more than likely go onto it. Even if they are 20k tires, it would take me 3 years to do that.

For the "stupid" stuff - I have it in Quicken as a category. If I do something stupid, I track how much it costs me as a reminder.

$325 for 4 tires? Hahaha. I had to put rear tires on the toy a while back and they are 19" 335s. Unless you go with Kumho, you are stuck with the top of the line Michelin Pilot Sports with a custom profile. I think the two rears cost me about $1200.
My daily driver has 19" wheels (factory, and no, they don't spin backwards...yet) and while not as wide as those on the Lambo, they are still an odd size. I read somewhere that is is comparable in price to buy some cheap 20" wheels and tires as compared to just the tires for the oddball 19". One year in and that car has 2500 miles on it. I don't think it will need tires soon.

My Yukon takes big tires and thus they are pricey.

If I had made better decisions as far as vehicles, I could have retired by now from the money saved on tire expenditures. I have a buddy who buys tires ANYWHERE and I think he got the "Superguard" tires for his Accord for about $20/each. They are highq uality tires I am sure...

For tire shopping, tirerack is good as is Discount Tires Direct (www.tires.com).

-GT
Lambo?? Did I read that correctly?

So what all cars do you have dude? And pictures, don't forget the pictures! :17:

My tires are about $160 each, but they're also 31x10.50 Cooper All Terrains. Best tire I've ever had.

I had to cut away part of my fenders to put 33's on my YJ. But damn they looked fine!

I had a 4" Suspension Lift, but on the front I had to trim just a little to eliminate some rubbing when I would make a hard turn.

See, I hate to lift it now. We are going to pay it off and keep it. That is when it will become the toy. I can fit 31X10.50 under it now with minimal problems. I guess it will be a while before it gets jacked up.

Back