Strength reduction factor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaled_eid

Reaction score
What is the strenngth reduction factor for bearing capacity is it 0.65 as the ACI or 0.6 as the CERM

I would guess that a problem on the exam requiring use of a number that has varying acceptable values would give answers choices that would have a single correct answer that would be close enough to either problem solution (using .60 and .65) and that the other answers would be so far away that the correct answer can be determined easily.

as far as the exam is concerned, it would be the value in the code and version of the code that is listed as the exam basis which for Oct 2010 is ACI 318-05.

ACI 318-05 Section 9.3.2 bearing on concrete (except for post-tensioned zones and strut and tie modesl) = 0.65

The CERM is just reference. It is not an exam design standard and it is not necessarily always updated for each test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also keep in mind that the exam will be based off of Chapter 9 and not Appendix C (for some reason the CERM always breaks it down both ways). That almost got me big time when i took the test.

Back