State Boards Giving out personal info?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezy_moto

Reaction score
Coincidentally after applying for licensure by comity in a few states recently, I'm getting emails about CE courses and physical mail from stamp companies, etc. Some Nigerian phishers also seem to have gotten ahold of my email and I'm receiving multiple emails from them each day. I do not use my work email for anything other than work or PE related items. I would have thought boards would be a little more professional than to give out my personal information. Anyone else have similar issues? I guess it's possible I forgot to check a box somewhere along the way but not that I can recall.

Coincidentally after applying for licensure by comity in a few states recently, I'm getting emails about CE courses and physical mail from stamp companies, etc. Some Nigerian phishers also seem to have gotten ahold of my email and I'm receiving multiple emails from them each day. I do not use my work email for anything other than work or PE related items. I would have thought boards would be a little more professional than to give out my personal information. Anyone else have similar issues? I guess it's possible I forgot to check a box somewhere along the way but not that I can recall.
I can't speak for other jurisdictions, but in California the email address for license holders and applicants are considered personal information and not releasable by law.  

In Kentucky every licensee's address is public, but they don't release your email.

Washington (state) shows the city, state, and zip associated with a licensee on their search page, but as far as I know does not release any other personal information to the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nigerian Engineering Board emailed me saying that their Chief State Engineer recently passed away and they need to temporarily deposit $70 million dollars in funds to my bank account.  They stated that they are trying keep it from corrupt Government officials and my trustworthiness is required to help their good citizens from being swindled out of these funds.  The good news is I get to keep $7 million and all they require is my SS#,  access to my bank account, and a small $10,00 deposit for legal and transfer fees, which will be reimbursed when the funds are deposited into my account.  

Is it normal that they want more information than they typical State Board or am I just a lucky individual. 

Note:  I think I am just lucky because I have also been notified that I won both the Irish and Polish lotteries by thier lottery boards randomly picking my email.  

The Nigerian Engineering Board emailed me saying that their Chief State Engineer recently passed away and they need to temporarily deposit $70 million dollars in funds to my bank account.  They stated that they are trying keep it from corrupt Government officials and my trustwothiness is required to help their good citizens from being swindled out of these funds.  The good news is I get to keep $7 million and all they require is my SS#,  access to my bank account, a small $10,00 deposit for legal and transfer fees, which will be reimbursed when the funds are deposited into my account.  

Is it normal that they want more information than they typical State Board or am I just a lucky individual. 

Note:  I think I am just lucky because I have also been notified that I won both the Irish and Polish lotteries by thier lottery boards randomly picking my email.  
I was waiting for this comment and you did not disappoint. 

I was waiting for this comment and you did not disappoint. 
In the past when I "googled" (assuming that is now a proper verb) Engineers Board, Engineering Board, or Engineer Boards; the Nigerian Engineering Board was always near the top of the search list.  Out of curiosity, I actually thought about seeing what it would take to get licensed in Nigeria, but never followed through.     

If I remember correctly I got a ton of extra junk mail (online and snailmail) when I joined ASCE. 

I can't speak for other jurisdictions, but in California the email address for license holders and applicants are considered personal information and not releasable by law.  
Email address is private but the home address isn’t, what the hell?

Email address is private but the home address isn’t, what the hell?
State law determined MANY years ago that the public has a right to know the address of licensed individuals so they can contact them.  You can like it or not, doesn't really matter.  If you wish to pursue legislation to change that, just contact your local state legislator requesting they carry the bill for you.

In the past when I "googled" (assuming that is now a proper verb) Engineers Board, Engineering Board, or Engineer Boards; the Nigerian Engineering Board was always near the top of the search list.  Out of curiosity, I actually thought about seeing what it would take to get licensed in Nigeria, but never followed through.     
Here you go...
https://www.coren.gov.ng/portal/registration-guide

State law determined MANY years ago that the public has a right to know the address of licensed individuals so they can contact them.  You can like it or not, doesn't really matter.  If you wish to pursue legislation to change that, just contact your local state legislator requesting they carry the bill for you.
Nah couldn't care less, can't change all the obsolete laws anyways.

Back