So where do you get to go for Spring Break?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I was just given my assignment for Spring Break ...

gypstackbartow-49q6o95kl.png

Any guesses for what/where that is??

JR

A wastewater treatment lagoon(s) with free surface water wetlands as a polishing stage?

I get to spend my spring break on a tropical island.

2nd Dleg's assessment - doesn't look industrial in use, nor shades of superfund. . .

For spring break (and i do get one), its more about where I won't have to go: no 130 mi round trip as an unpaid commuter!!! Bye bye mr. $3.79 diesel pump, see ya in an f'n week!!!

that looks like a stinky place JR.

I'm going somewhere high in the mountains where my nose hairs will be frozen solid.

Those sure are large treatment lagoons. I don't know of any place that would have something that big. I'm guessing Area 51. But, that's more like desert area. Or is it?

Spring break... is that when the inlaws come over for a few hours to change diapers so my wife and I can go have the no-fun adult date (consisting of Home Depot, the mall, 100 other errands, lunch - all in about 3 hours???)

^^^It is hard, but it is fun. My oldest son and I have really bonded since my wife couldn't do everything with him she did before she got really big with the twins... now it is 'Daddy-Do!!!!' and he wants to tag along and help me with everything from taking out the trash to taking yard debris to the dump.

The twins are fun too... It is amazing to see how tiny their toes are now and to think the boys will maybe be my size or larger one day (I hope my daughter doesn't get to be my size with the size 14 shoes).

The local swimming hole???
Oh boy .. I sure hope not. :hung-037:

A wastewater treatment lagoon(s) with free surface water wetlands as a polishing stage?
The lagoons treat wastewater - the wetlands are INCIDENTALLY serving as a polishing stage. There is actually an industrial process there ya missed though ...

I get to spend my spring break on a tropical island.
:leghump: :leghump: :leghump:

2nd Dleg's assessment - doesn't look industrial in use, nor shades of superfund. . .
Oh .. there is definitely an industrial process taking place.

that looks like a stinky place JR.
You have no idea just how stinky!! This place makes Newark seem clean ... :suicide:

Those sure are large treatment lagoons. I don't know of any place that would have something that big.
It's a land mining operation that leads to a huge waste pile referred to as a gyp stack (leftover gypsum). The location is south-central Florida south of Orlado. There are approximately two dozen such gyp stacks that are regulated by the DEP south of Orlando that measure over 100-ft in height easily making them the highest points of elevation relative to any feature around them.

These gyp stacks are extremely dirty - they are left over remnants of phosphatic clays that have several very nasty properties like strongly corrosive water and gross alpha (radiation) in the form of radon. The strong phosphate content leads to hyperaccumulation of algae and other odor nuisances as well. A real famous waste impoundment (Piney Point) went into bankruptcy a few years ago - required the state to pay out $200M in removal and disposal costs of the impounded caustic wastewater. The solution: truck it to barges that would discharge it by spray-hose nozzle into the Gulf of Mexico. :true:

As far as my visity ... it's a dirty, dirty place .....

Lucky me. :smileyballs:

JR

I'm just going to hang out for spring break. I've had enough bad smells recently!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back