So tired of saying "no"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Arggghhhhh.....

I've just returned from the other side of my cubicle, where I was reviewing crappy stormwater & septic system designs, all in response to my previous permit application deficiency notices. I just get so tired of looking at a set of hand-drawn plans, practically on a napkin, that don't even address half of the detailed comments I gave with my first (or second or third) deficiency notice. Read the fucking notice! Sometimes I just feel like giving up and approving the plans as-is. I mean why not - they aren't going to follow them anyway, and our inspectors aren't going to catch the mistakes.

Tell me this is abnormal... Tell me this is only because I am in the CNMI.... Tell me that the plans produced in the mainland are usually at least "mediocre" in quality.... I'd gladly take "mediocre" over "crappy" at this point.

:(

Tell me this is abnormal... Tell me this is only because I am in the CNMI.... Tell me that the plans produced in the mainland are usually at least "mediocre" in quality.... I'd gladly take "mediocre" over "crappy" at this point.
:suicide1:
Pppppsstttt .....

I see much of the same :ph34r: :ph34r:

The latest and greatest. I made a facility (field) visit to a contaminated site. The representatives started drawing out their conceptual design in the sand, as if we could approve discussion points based on that. As if !!!

I haven't been inspired lately because most submittals typically have many errors. I get just as frustrated when I see errors or mistakes carried through multiple revisions.

Oh well.... :(

JR

That was the bum rap I heard from folks at NYC DEP, which employed a number of our graduates. It's just learning new ways to say no.

Take the extra time to follow the design manual and think about what you are doing. Then you only get a minor comment letter back asking for clarification and catching a few errors you overlooked.

Out typical comments we receive are minor enough to turn the thing around and re-subit it within the week.

WHAT THE FUCK??!!!!!!

I just got a call from a contractor, who wants me to "review their plans before they give it to [bad engineer] for stamping." I of course told them that it's their "engineer's" job to review the plans himself prior to stamping, and that preparing plans and then just getting them "stamped" by someone else is not legal.

But the guy doesn't care - he's just a Filipino contract worker getting paid $3.05 an hour as an "engineer" but without a chance in hell of ever being licensed, so of course I will review it for him. Otherwise I will again be accused of being "anti business" by these people who are actively destroying the very business of engineering by allowing this shit to happen in the first place.

FUCK! the guy will be here in 15 minutes. I'll update if there's any entertainment value in what I see.

It's OK Dleg, you'll make it through this.

Just relax like this guy...

relax_dog.jpg

Dleg --

My Administrator tries to stick me with 'doing' the consultants work for them all of the time. I end up thinking the same thing as you ... :Locolaugh:
14.gif

If it is any comfort ... I feel your pain :appl: :bananalama:

JR

^^let's wait until I have my license, or at least my denial letter. If I get my license, I will immediately go after an NCEES record and a second license in another state (probably CO) before I start to raise these issues publicly.

The sad thing is that every engineer on this island knows about this, and none of them will speak up because the Board is overrun with the "bad guys."

Maybe you could swing your unit by Saipan and help install some law & order here on "U.S." soil....

Back