Slabs-on-Grade

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desantmf

Professional Engineer
Reaction score
Does anyone know what concepts or problems are intended by the Slabs-on-Grade (Earth Structures) in the Geotechnical Engineering Morning portion of the Exam?

Any notes or tips would be appreciated.

The weaker the subgrade, or the heavier the loads, then, the thicker the slab needs to be. The most commonly used value is the modulus of subgrade reaction, k in design of slabs on grade.

Modulus of soil reaction, is a spring constant that depends on the kind of soil, the degree of compaction, and the moisture content. You can refer to Das or any other reference soil books for more on this topic.

so do we need separate books for soil for morning? i will take construction depth

so do we need separate books for soil for morning? i will take construction depth

I think this has been answered several times, but to reiterate - no. No separate books are needed for the AM other than CERM and/or All-In-One (this applies to all 5 exam disciplines). Some people have brought other books to the morning and some state they used them so you can bring extra books if you'd like. But you'll be perfectly capable of passing without extra books and remember that there is a point of diminishing returns on the more books you bring. Good luck.

Back