Should We Move? - Your Thoughts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good points to mull over. Thanks all. I didn't even think about how they won't get to know the neighborhood kids if they go to private school.

I wonder how much primary school matters compared to the kid's home environment. I went to the best schools from K through grad school, but my husband grew up in trailer parks and had the education to match. Yet we're similarly successful as adults.I guess that's moot though because I want the best I can afford for my kids.

I know I'm a bit late to the game, but if it's more about finding a better school district for your kids vs. moving to a bigger house, then I say move. I believe that as parents you are responsible for providing the best opportunities possible for your kids and if you can afford to do so, move so they will go to a better school. I'm not sure what private school would cost out there, but I know that the good ones here would cost over $14k per child here a year, so $12k more a year for a mortgage would be a bargain. Good luck on your decision and I'm sure that no matter what it will work out, because the most important thing for your kids is home life, and I know you're providing a great home for them.

Hey, my kid's favorite programs are Doomsday Preppers, Survivor Man, etc. PLUS my kid us wicked excited to shoot his new .22. Hmm...we also have access to a cabin in Montana. Forget drinking the Dave Ramsey kool-aid...we've drunk the Captain Worley kool-aid!

All of the schools in our small town are about the same. I really can't add anything that hasn't been added. I'm just posting because I realized I'm a closet unabomber.

Move.

Since it's optional and you have as much time as you want, use that time to wisely to patiently seek out a devastatingly awesome real estate deal. Then pounce on it.

It may take several tries, but since you have a simple fall back position (not_move), you can only win or break even.

And while you're waiting for the right property, you'll be generating cash to make for an even better deal. Win/win/win.

Move.

Since it's optional and you have as much time as you want, use that time to wisely to patiently seek out a devastatingly awesome real estate deal. Then pounce on it.

It may take several tries, but since you have a simple fall back position (not_move), you can only win or break even.

And while you're waiting for the right property, you'll be generating cash to make for an even better deal. Win/win/win.
This may not be so easy if the sale of the current house is required to make the move. Just sayin'....

Move.

This is the approach we now plan to take. We're looking at short sales and nicer foreclosures, since we don't have the guts to tackle chipmunks in the walls or whatever other braver souls with foreclosure adventures have seen. I figure we can move into an apartment or *shudder* with my parents after selling our place and waiting for a short sale to go through.

Hey, my kid's favorite programs are Doomsday Preppers, Survivor Man, etc. PLUS my kid us wicked excited to shoot his new .22. Hmm...we also have access to a cabin in Montana. Forget drinking the Dave Ramsey kool-aid...we've drunk the Captain Worley kool-aid!

You're welcome!

We're looking at short sales and nicer foreclosures,

you see alot of foreclosure / short sales in the better school districts / neighborhoods? :huh:

This is LA. There are a lot of people living beyond their means to keep up an appearance. We plan to profit off the wreckage when one of those people gets hit with reality. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We're looking at short sales and nicer foreclosures,

you see alot of foreclosure / short sales in the better school districts / neighborhoods? :huh:

This is LA. There are a lot of people living beyond their means to keep up an appearance. We plan to profit off the wreckage when one of those people gets hit with reality. :)
QFT. Plenty of foreclosures in the low-income neighborhoods, but you'd be surprised how many in the middle & upper ones too.

It's slowing down a little now in my corner of the world as the housing market tries to come back, but when I was looking, I saw some incredible deals for someone with the cash and drive to manage it. $100k for a $1M house, foundation & frame only though. $300K for a $600K that needed <$50K work.

Most flippers want the low-risk bargain property with the 100% quick return, which opens up the availablity for some nicer properties with less return, if you're willing to live in it and renovate.

What I learned: you make your money on the front end by finding the bargain. You find the bargain with patience and cash.

Oh, and perseverance.

In addition to master renovator Vanilla Ice there, I saw that Brandon Pinoche Brondon Pinochle Bartson Pincholio errr, Serge from Beverly Hills Cop has his own house restoration show too.

Oh, here it is on wiki:

Since February 12, 2012 Bronson has starred in a home restoration show on DIY Network based on his own hobby of restoring old homes using salvaged materials, The Bronson Pinchot Project.[12]

I flipped thru the channels one afternoon and saw that. Earned a spoken "WTF?" with no one in the house.

Cut of the TV and went outside, sure the end was nigh.

In addition to master renovator Vanilla Ice there, I saw that Brandon Pinoche Brondon Pinochle Bartson Pincholio errr, Serge from Beverly Hills Cop

I thought he was Balki on Perfect Strangers

Yup.

I actually like the Bronson Pinchot project. You have to give the guy credit, he's definitely got a passion for salvaging historical pieces.

In addition to master renovator Vanilla Ice there, I saw that Brandon Pinoche Brondon Pinochle Bartson Pincholio errr, Serge from Beverly Hills Cop has his own house restoration show too.

Oh, here it is on wiki:

Since February 12, 2012 Bronson has starred in a home restoration show on DIY Network based on his own hobby of restoring old homes using salvaged materials, The Bronson Pinchot Project.[12]
Surge?

Back