Should i give up engineering? (Mechanical)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineer Student. I am actually a international student in the US. English is my second language. I am a senior in a 4-year mechanical engineering course, but i am going to need 5 years to graduate (Super Senior). Engineering never had been easy for me. My GPA right know is 2.6. It may increase this semester. I am very persistent, at least. The main thing is that i'm retaking the same class for third time, and i am still failing it. It's Network Analysis 1 ( i have been stuck since my freshman year). I'm so frustrated about this class. It's keeping me from moving on. So, i am trying to convince myself that this is part of the process, that engineering in general isn't easy and that i may do better in the workplace. I have not passed other classes, but now i'm up to date with everything except this class. My strong-skills are in 3D modeling and i have a passion for manufacturing. I have good communications skills and i am good in other classes. Anyway, i even got a good paid-internship this summer. What would be your opinion about this point of my education? Sometimes, i just want to give up and open a business or something. I have been trying so hard. Thank you for your insight!
I graduated with 2.6GPA in Electrical but I also graduated during the 2007 recession. Easy enough for me to blame the recession more than my GPA but I got a temp position as a software engineer for 6 months. After which I taught math/sci at a private school for 2 years until I could find an engineering job as a sales/tech support engineer until the  government started hiring again which was 6 years after my graduation then I joined the government as an engineer. I passed the FE exam 1 year after joining the gov. I got my PE license in my third year at the government and  finally got a position that pays PE wages so don't let that number hurt your confidence.  You know your passion as an engineer. Sometimes it helps to take less courses per semester and dive deeper into the topics with your extra time and graduate a little later. Engineering should be treated like a Medical Doctor education, it should be given more time to study as well as solid rotational on the job experience which in our lives is called Co-Op or Internship. I like colleges that make the CoOp part of the semester credits such as Rochester Institute of Technology. Goodluck

Back