Should I expect a pay raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millerific

Reaction score
So, I just recently passed my Electrical Power PE exam this past April, and I still have not received a raise yet.  Is this unusual? Am I wrong for expecting a raise and should I be asking for one?  My friends and family close to me keep telling me I should approach my boss about it but I feel awkward and not sure how to approach the situation.  My company also paid for the test and a prep class for it, so that makes me feel even more funny about bringing up a raise to my boss.  In my honest opinion, I already don't feel like I make enough money at my job so I was kind of looking forward to the pay raise.  I know everyone says that, but I have been at my job 6 years now and I guess I thought this test would push me forward into a higher position with much higher pay and I haven't seen it yet.

Basically my question is after passing the PE, should I expect a raise, and if so, should I ask my boss to give me one soon?

There are several threads on the subject in this sub-forum, but it all comes down to the value your PE has for the company. This thread has a ton of valuable info on raises, including something I wrote forever ago.

Firstly - don't double post.

Secondly, unless your company has a written policy of automatic raises after passing the PE exam - don't expect one.  The summary of the thread Dex posted is you still need to prove your PE adds value to your company.  If it doesn't, then a raise cannot be justified.  

Typically having a PE allows your company (if you're a design company, consultant etc.) to charge higher rates for your services.  If this is true, then you should have the conversation with your boss if your performance has been good.  I would not let the fact they paid for the prep class/exam become an issue.

I gave them a few weeks to approach me, and when they didn't, I asked for it. Never be afraid to ask about something. Just don't demand anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back