Shigley and Mischke???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bph

Research Engineer
Reaction score
I see lots of reference to Shigley and Mischke for the ME PE but they have two popular books, "standard handbook of machine design" and "mechanical engineering design", I wonder which one people keep referring too as a must have for the ME PE?

Thanks for your comments.

Bart

mechanical engineering design is the basic text.
And unfortunately, I got the 6th edition.

My mechanisms Shigley book is the old school gray and maroon bound. The 6th edition Machine Design text was the more modern text look.

I'd rather have the old school one to match my mechanisms book. It would look better on my shelf for the two times a year an HVAC guy has to pull it out.

And unfortunately, I got the 6th edition.
My mechanisms Shigley book is the old school gray and maroon bound. The 6th edition Machine Design text was the more modern text look.

I'd rather have the old school one to match my mechanisms book. It would look better on my shelf for the two times a year an HVAC guy has to pull it out.
There's a reason the 5th ed. was printed for so long. It looks cool. And from what I understand, the 6th ed. has many errors. Is that true?

my 5th ed. has many post-its and taped in notes, which makes it uberkewl

Back