Share your Holiday Tradition

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My holiday tradition...spending time with family and friends. That's about it. Hard for Christmas to feel like it did when I was younger and hadn't lost anyone. Now I just enjoy the people I have in my life.

We are having a decorating contest at work, well I guess we need to give people more to do, cuz holy crap...they are putting up lawn blow up decorations inside of offices!

enhanced-19080-1418355661-4.jpg

As I was in the mall earlier I was thinking - this would be so much better after a few beers. Drunken shopping could be a new tradition. Pass me one of those mad elf ales.

We've had a lot of Christmas traditions over the years. One of the best was at a church we belonged to when our daughters were growing up. The church has a Living Nativity that has been done the 3 days before Christmas for over 50 years using live animals. Usually we had sheep, and a donkey. Once we had a small cow. I always thought it would be neat to have a camel, but we never did. We were really active in that for years and the girls enjoyed participating. My husband now is talking about getting a donkey in the future so we can take it to be in the Living Nativity. I think that would be cool.

any new years traditions????

Growing up, surf and turf was always on the menu, even if it was just steak and shrimp when we couldn't afford lobster.

My mom swore by eating herring at midnight was good luck for the next year as well as rubbing really old coins at the stroke of 12 would mean more $ in the new year.

We usually do a batch of Hoppin' John for good luck on New Year's Day, but didn't this year. I guess that means 2015 will be the worst year yet for the Buff Household?

On New Year's Eve, we tried to play board games until midnight. We were close this year. We had fun trying. It was time well spent. We might make it a "tradition."

Back in my twenties:

Christmas Day, weenie roast - Seemed like everybody was done with their family stuff by early afternoon. So our friends would all come to our house for grilled Koegel hot dogs and beers. Hot dogs had to be grilled, which was sometimes a challenge in Michigan on December 25th.

December 31st, John Candy Film Festival - We would procure a keg on the night of the 30th. Then friends would arrive late morning with bacon, eggs and John Candy movies. And so on... until maybe 10pm and then we'd get a ride to a party for New Year's Eve.

Life would be less interesting if we always made the right choices.

For about 20 years+ NYE has always meant the Three Stooges Marathon on WSBK. The Stooges never get old!

Back