Share your Holiday Tradition

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramnares P.E.

Reaction score
Figured I'd get this thread going just to share your holiday traditions. It can be anything from driving to share the holidays with parents/siblings, to cooking particular meals etc.

Here are the main ones at my place:

1. Christmas week movie marathons. It used to be just Christmas Eve but with mini-Ram here it's not as practical to watch all the movies in one day anymore. It's the usual sappy Christmas movies. We usually get through The Santa Claus series with Tim Allen, Frosty, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, Yogi's First Christmas etc.

Home Alone 1 and 2, and A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey are reserved for Christmas Eve.

2. Usual sharing of gifts and then the mass cooking. We usually do enough to take over to neighbors who are single/retired etc.

So go at it EB!

Pork Roast black beans and rice and watch The Family Stone at my in-laws on christmas eve

nothing else really

growing up it was my dad's family on xmas eve, then midnight mass. Wake up christmas morning open stockings and presents then head to wisconsin to see my grandpa and my mom's side of the family. we usually had a cooked turkey in the car with us...that 30-45 minute resting period before carving was the drive to Gpas house.

now it usually depends on mr snick's SIL. We usually spend xmas eve morning/afternoon with mr snick family. xmas eve evening with my dad's family, then midnight mass. Wake up xmas morning, go out to breakfast at the local greek restaurant, open stockings, presents, then chill until later in the day and sometime we spend the late afternoon evening with my moms family. this is getting less often as my cousin's are marrried with kids and have to spend time with their inlaws too. sometime we met up with mr snicks family a day or so after xmas.

before any christmas meal though we have the oplatki sharing. one of the many Polish things of xmas besides the sauage, perogis, kolackis, etc...

before any christmas meal though we have the oplatki sharing. one of the many Polish things of xmas besides the sauage, perogis, kolackis, etc...

Nothing screams Christmas like edible Catholic styrofoam! ;)

We usually just do Chinese food on either X-mas or X-mas eve. But I'm liking Snick's pierogi idea... (my father's side of the family is very Slovak, so I LOVE Slovak food, e.g. pierogis, stuffed cabbage, etc.)

wife usually has to either work Christmas or the day before or after. usually the family pretends like Christmas is a stupid holiday with no meaning so she doesn't get all upset about having to work on these so called major holidays. walk around on eggshells, waiting for a quick death, etc...

We usually just do Chinese food on either X-mas or X-mas eve. But I'm liking Snick's pierogi idea... (my father's side of the family is very Slovak, so I LOVE Slovak food, e.g. pierogis, stuffed cabbage, etc.)

I grew up in a very Slovak oriented church community and I always thought their traditions were slightly off than ours (Italian)...but feel I'm more well rounded because of it ;) growing up it was 12 dishes on Christmas eve with no red sauce then mass at midnight and a Christmas lasagna the next day, but I tried the traditional Christmas eve dinner and it's not worth it for 2 people

We usually get a group together and have some beers. We tell the server to bring a pitcher of beer every 3 minutes until someone passes out. Then we say bring one every 7 minutes. ;)

I grew up in a very Slovak oriented church community and I always thought their traditions were slightly off than ours (Italian)...but feel I'm more well rounded because of it ;) growing up it was 12 dishes on Christmas eve with no red sauce then mass at midnight and a Christmas lasagna the next day, but I tried the traditional Christmas eve dinner and it's not worth it for 2 people

LOL, my grandfather on my mother's side was VERY Sicilian (including some mob ties...), and all my aunts/uncles/cousins were super Italian, so we were not without our seafood, lasagna, meatballs, sausage and peppers, etc. etc.

LOL, my grandfather on my mother's side was VERY Sicilian (including some mob ties...), and all my aunts/uncles/cousins were super Italian, so we were not without our seafood, lasagna, meatballs, sausage and peppers, etc. etc.

Christmas Eve usually consisted of something like

spaghetti with oil

pizza fritta

Calamari

Shrimp

Fried Scallops

Cod

Salmon

another white fish or shell fish

crab cakes

fish sticks

veggie try and stuff like that

I just remember wondering why we couldn't have red meat and stuff and Grams saying the table had to be as white as possible to represent the purity of the baby and his mom

I'm starting a tradition this year where dad drinks too much eggnog.

I'm starting a tradition this year where dad drinks too much eggnog.
Sounds like a food challenge to me. Substitute eggnog for the gallon of milk in an hour challenge. Please post the YouTube video upon completion. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonus challenge - swallow a slice of bread whole, and see if the entire thing comes back up in one piece (my college roommate did this.)

Since we had the kid, it's now Christmas Eve Mass at 4PM, dinner and presents with my parents, then Christmas Day at home. When we got married, I demanded that Christmas Day just be us for ever and ever amen. I love the stillness of that night and then the morning.

Back