SE III October 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Since there are so few people on the structural forum actually participating these days, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for those of us stressing over the SE III (SE II people are free to join too). My biggest question to you SE test takers is what study materials are you going to scour through in order to feel good about your preparedness. Here's my list and feel free to comment:

1. Concrete

ACI 318-05

PCA NOTES ON ACI 318-05

2006 IBC Seismic and Wind Design of Concrete Buildings, Author: SK Ghosh

Seismic Detailing of Concrete Buildings, 2nd Edition, Author: David Fanella

2. Steel

AISC 360-05

AISC 360 Design Examples (from Accompanying disk)

AISC Seismic Design Manual

AISC 341-05 Seismic Provisions

Structural Steel Design: LRFD Method, 2nd Edition, Author: McCormac

3. Masonry

MDG5 – Masonry Designer’s Guide

ACI 530-05

Reinforced Masonry Design, 3rd Edition, Author: Schneider & Dickey (OLD College Textbook)

4. Prestressed (My weakest subject – hardly any design practice in this area except a prestressed box-girder bridge)

Prestressed Concrete – A Fundamental Approach, Author: Nawy 3rd Edition (Old College Textbook)

5. Wood

NDS 2005

Breyer – 5th Edition

Simpson 2009-2010 Catalog

6. Foundations

Principles of Foundation Engineering, 4th Edition, Author: Das

Foundation Engineering Handbook (IBC 2006)

Geotechnical Engineering Soil Mechanics, Author: Cernica

7. General Structural Analysis and Material-Specific Seismic Review

SEAOC VOL I, II, & III

SERM, 4th Edition, Author: Alan Williams

SEAW Review Course Notes

Seismic & Wind Forces, 3rd Edition, Author: Alan Williams

Structural Analysis, 4th Edition – Author: Hibbeler

ASCE 7-05

IBC 2006

Since there are so few people on the structural forum actually participating these days, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for those of us stressing over the SE III (SE II people are free to join too). My biggest question to you SE test takers is what study materials are you going to scour through in order to feel good about your preparedness. Here's my list and feel free to comment:...
Here's my list:

1. Concrete

-Kaplan Design of reinforced Concrete Structures Review for the PE Exam - Williams

-ACI 318-05

-PCA notes on 318-05

2. Steel

-AISC Steel Construction Manual, 13th Edition

-Steel Design, 4th Edition - Segui

3. Masonry

-ACI 530-05

4. Prestressed

-PCI Design Handbook, 6th Edition

5. Wood

-NDS 2005 (Entire package of 4 books)

6. Foundations

-Binder of notes from college (Also, many of the other materials mentioned have foundations in them)

-AISC Seismic Design Manual

-IBC 2006

-ASCE 7-05

-PCA Seismic Detailing of Concrete Buildings, 2nd Edition - Fanella

-SERM

-Kaplan PE License Review Problems & Solutions, 6th Edition - Williams

-Kaplan Seismic Design Review for the PE Exam, 6th Edition - Williams

-2006 IBC Structural / Seismic Design Manual (Volumes 1-3)

-Codemasters by S.K. Ghosh:

--Seismic Design Category

--Seismic Design

--Woodframe Dwellings & Townhouses (SDC A, B, and C)

--Woodframe Dwellings & Townhouses (SDC D0, D1, D2)

--Residential Seismic Rehabilitation

--Wind Design Overview

--Strength Design for Masonry

--Allowable Stress Design for Masonry

Good list. How do you think the codemaster stuff is from Ghosh? I've always been curious...

Good list. How do you think the codemaster stuff is from Ghosh? I've always been curious...
I think Ghosh's codemasters are great. They're very simple and step-by-step, which is excellent during a stressful exam. I used them quite a bit on the SEII. Are we the only two taking the SEIII this October?

I think Ghosh's codemasters are great. They're very simple and step-by-step, which is excellent during a stressful exam. I used them quite a bit on the SEII. Are we the only two taking the SEIII this October?
It appears that way. I'm going to check out those codemasters. It could help on vertical and horizontal irregularities...

You guys are not the only ones.

I'll be taking the CA version in October......

I'm considering trying the Washington SE III in October. I'm awaiting SE II results to confirm. Any tips you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention in my list above, I also have the SEAW course notes from last year.

I have been considering updating my MacGregor Concrete book with the new one written by James Wight. Can anyone attest to the quality, depth, and breadth of the new Wight book? I've bought 3 editions of MacGregor and have noticed Wight as being a coauthor with MacGregor on the 4th edition of "Reinforced Concrete Mechanics and Design".

Any input would be appreciated. OR, if anyone knows of a good resource for the ACI 318-05 in a textbook format, that would be great too.

Since there are so few people on the structural forum actually participating these days, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for those of us stressing over the SE III (SE II people are free to join too). My biggest question to you SE test takers is what study materials are you going to scour through in order to feel good about your preparedness. Here's my list and feel free to comment:
1. Concrete

ACI 318-05

PCA NOTES ON ACI 318-05

2006 IBC Seismic and Wind Design of Concrete Buildings, Author: SK Ghosh

Seismic Detailing of Concrete Buildings, 2nd Edition, Author: David Fanella

2. Steel

AISC 360-05

AISC 360 Design Examples (from Accompanying disk)

AISC Seismic Design Manual

AISC 341-05 Seismic Provisions

Structural Steel Design: LRFD Method, 2nd Edition, Author: McCormac

3. Masonry

MDG5 – Masonry Designer’s Guide

ACI 530-05

Reinforced Masonry Design, 3rd Edition, Author: Schneider & Dickey (OLD College Textbook)

4. Prestressed (My weakest subject – hardly any design practice in this area except a prestressed box-girder bridge)

Prestressed Concrete – A Fundamental Approach, Author: Nawy 3rd Edition (Old College Textbook)

5. Wood

NDS 2005

Breyer – 5th Edition

Simpson 2009-2010 Catalog

6. Foundations

Principles of Foundation Engineering, 4th Edition, Author: Das

Foundation Engineering Handbook (IBC 2006)

Geotechnical Engineering Soil Mechanics, Author: Cernica

SEAOC VOL I, II, & III

SERM, 4th Edition, Author: Alan Williams

SEAW Review Course Notes

Seismic & Wind Forces, 3rd Edition, Author: Alan Williams

Structural Analysis, 4th Edition – Author: Hibbeler

ASCE 7-05

IBC 2006
McEngr,

I pretty much have the same things as you do.

How's studying going?

I am also taking the WA SEIII in October - first time for me. I have pretty much the same references as listed previously

McEngr,
I pretty much have the same things as you do.

How's studying going?

Not so good. I feel I'm much better in masonry design, wood design. I haven't designed a steel or concrete building in a while unless it has to do with a multi-story complicated wood/masonry structure. I'm so busy with work, I'm running into the same obstacles. Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines...

Same here man.

My hardest subject is masonry right now. Drawing those interaction diagrams for shearwalls are a pain. :smileyballs:

Same here man.
My hardest subject is masonry right now. Drawing those interaction diagrams for shearwalls are a pain. :smileyballs:
Agreed! I wish there was some rule of thumb allowed in the code for quicker results... but I'm lazy. :)

So the exam is in October, when does everything think they'll start studying hard?

Can anyone lament with me on how freaking busy they are that they can't study? It just seems like the projects don't go away. Sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the exam is in October, when does everything think they'll start studying hard?

Can anyone lament with me on how freaking busy they are that they can't study? It just seems like the projects don't go away. Sheesh!
Tell me about it, I'm still working on a California project that I submitted over a year a go! I'm hoping my schedule will open up in a few weeks to start studying.

Same here man.
Kevo, I am not sure whether you are aware of NCMA Concrete Masonry Design Tables, I use it sometime for my design checks, they are pretty handy. I used it in my SE II as well. Here is the link and I am also attaching it's table of content 1 in this one and TOC2 next post: http://secure.ncma.org/source/Orders/Produ...il.cfm?pc=TR121

NCMA___Concrete_Masonry_Design_Table___TOC1.pdf

Attachments

• NCMA___Concrete_Masonry_Design_Table___TOC1.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 41
Same here man.

Here's TOC2 for Concrete Masonry Design Tables

Can anyone tell me if this is the last time WA and CA offering SE III?

I have recently passed both SE I and SE II in last year, and I am not sure whether i can even appear for SE III. Do you guys suggest to take SE III?

NCMA___Concrete_Masonry_Design_Table___TOC2.pdf

Attachments

• NCMA___Concrete_Masonry_Design_Table___TOC2.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 27
Same here man.

Here's TOC2 for Concrete Masonry Design Tables

Can anyone tell me if this is the last time WA and CA offering SE III?

I have recently passed both SE I and SE II in last year, and I am not sure whether i can even appear for SE III. Do you guys suggest to take SE III?
I'm pretty sure that October 2011 is the last time SEIII will be offered in both WA and CA, so we have two more chances. I'm taking the SEIII because I'd really rather not have to take a whole new 16hr exam.

Back