SE Exam Buildings vs. Bridges

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any reference materials for the buildings exam? I notice on the ncees site there are reference materials on other tests but nothing for structural? My experience is in buildings so I am wondering if I need to buy the Aashto manual as it’s not cheap and I don’t plan to ever use it in my career. Or will portions of that Manual be made available? Does anyone have any advice on what any table I should find and print from the internet that would avoid me needing to buy the manual. 

Are there any reference materials for the buildings exam? I notice on the ncees site there are reference materials on other tests but nothing for structural? My experience is in buildings so I am wondering if I need to buy the Aashto manual as it’s not cheap and I don’t plan to ever use it in my career. Or will portions of that Manual be made available? Does anyone have any advice on what any table I should find and print from the internet that would avoid me needing to buy the manual. 

After the last exam administration (October 2019), NCEES changed the name of the 16-hour exam to "PE Structural".  The NCEES practice exam is available on the same page as the other PE practice exams.  It's the one that costs $49.95.

Anything in AASHTO is fair game.  There *will* be a not insignificant number of bridge questions in the morning.  If you can beg or borrow, do that.  I look at it this way:  the AASHTO Code, while pricey, is still cheaper than shelling out another $1000 to retake the exams.    

Best of luck to you!

don't they still have an exam version for the SE? that is somehow cheaper? 

I printed the whole thing at officemax for about $200, and then the only binder big enough to fit it was over $40 itself...so that is definitely the cheapest option if you can get your hands on a pdf

Or that obviously, if its an option.  My little $150 desktop printer that prints single sided would take until midnight to print it all with me reloading it every 5 minutes. Double sided and punched for me and picking up after ordering it online was worth it for me

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been remote since COVID hit... there's no such thing as normal or after hours in the office anymore for me.  With that said, maybe not AASHTO thick, but I do "spread the wealth" on occasion and divide large prints among several printers on the floor to avoid getting dirty looks for holding up a single printer.  I generally did my damage before hours since I tend to be an early person.  But if not, lunch time was always a decent time to strike. 

Back