Safety First!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE-ness

Advanced Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but the image of frying up a pan of genitals certainly gets my attention.

(From this CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/healthcomm/stdcom-db-focus.htm)

45.jpg

Oh my ....

On a serious note, what I don't understand is why the following points made by Consumers Union advocacy group don't have wider attribution:

The nation's most trusted consumer's advocacy group, the Consumer's Union (CU), interviewed 3,300 of its readers in order to determine the effectiveness of condoms at preventing conception and disease. CU also mechanically tested 16,000 condoms of 37 different varieties and brands. The results of its studies, as reported in the March 1989 issue of Consumer Reports, are revealing indeed.
About one-fourth of the Consumer Union's readers reported at least one instance of condom breakage in a one-year period, and about one in eight experienced two or more incidents of breakage in one year.[2]

Using these and other data, CU estimated that an average of one condom in 165 broke during heterosexual intercourse, and about one in 105 broke during anal intercourse. This failure rate was much lower than that produced by most other studies.

Resulting Pregnancies. The resulting 0.6 percent (1/165) condom breakage rate for normal heterosexual intercourse, when extrapolated over an average of 100 acts of intercourse each year, and accounting for the woman's periods of infertility, results in a method effectiveness rate of about 95.5 percent per year.[3]

"Method effectiveness" is the best rate that can possibly be expected, since it accounts only for failures in the condom but not for failures in use.

"Contraceptive failure" is defined as the percentage of women who become pregnant while using one method of contraceptive exclusively for one year. This category includes both failure of the method (such as physical condom breakage as found by CU), and failure of the user to employ the method properly.

If we include mistakes in condom usage, the actual effectiveness rate of the prophylactic is 89.2 percent per year.
If you include an added statistical approach and determine the rate at which a woman may become pregnant if her partner exclusively uses condoms (given 100 events per year), you obtain the following probabilities:

Code:
Time Period             Chances of Pregnancy

1 year                               11 percent
   2 years                               20 percent
   3 years                               29 percent
   4 years                               37 percent
   5 years                               44 percent
 10 years                               68 percent

If you use the probability of pregnancy as a surrogate for the potential to contract a STD (e.g. exposure due to failure of condom) that's pretty sobering. Not sure why these types of statistics aren't more widespread.

JR

hmmmm..... sounds like a job for..... A materials engineer!

If you include an added statistical approach and determine the rate at which a woman may become pregnant if her partner exclusively uses condoms (given 100 events per year), you obtain the following probabilities:
Who the hell has 100 events per year?!?

its only twice* a week. . .a good goal to strive for, however NOT easy if you have kids

* results may vary. stated frequency not necessarily obtained by poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not talking about dead ball personal fouls here.

And I always thought the false start was when you missed the snap count so you moved a little bit. Of course that often causes the defense to move as well which doesn't often happen to me.

Maybe I should say I get charged for encroachment or offsides once a week.

This football analogy has gotten really complicated.

Latest posts

Back