Rock Slide in Polk County, TN

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cement

gray haired dude
Reaction score
looks like this happened last month.

the good news: nobody was hurt.

the bad news: it looks like the rest of that road is in similar condition

Holy crap! That's insane to watch.
that has to be a career highlight for the cameraman.

did you notice that the geologist managed to quickstep to the other side of the slide from the camera?

Ha! I just recently had to sit through a 'whippin' by our DPW officials because I had told one of their highway design firms that I didn't think hydroseeding was an adequate substitute for a retaining wall on a 1:1 road cut just like that one - they were all over me about interfering with their design, etc. I just told them that it's not my call to decide whether or not it's stable, but if someone asks me, as a PE, if they can make such a substitution, there's no way in hell I'm saying 'yes'. I told them, of course, that they were free to certify it themselves...

I'm going to go show this to our permits manager, who had to sit through the whippin' with me.

Ha! I just recently had to sit through a 'whippin' by our DPW officials because I had told one of their highway design firms that I didn't think hydroseeding was an adequate substitute for a retaining wall on a 1:1 road cut just like that one - they were all over me about interfering with their design, etc. I just told them that it's not my call to decide whether or not it's stable, but if someone asks me, as a PE, if they can make such a substitution, there's no way in hell I'm saying 'yes'. I told them, of course, that they were free to certify it themselves...
I'm going to go show this to our permits manager, who had to sit through the whippin' with me.
Hydroseed can retain soil the same as a block retaining wall, right?

Back