Review Materials: Lindeburg Quick ReferenceGuide?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentum

Reaction score
Does anyone have or has anyone found useful or important the "the other board" "Quick reference guide for the mechanical engineering pe exam". Is this a useful reference?

I had the quick reference guide for the Civil PE exam, and never opened it. To be honest, the regular Lindeburg book isn't all that bad to find stuff. I don't think you'll find it all that useful.

I started using it for a while but discovered that some equations in MERM weren't in there. I have decided to use MERM exclusively for any equations I need on the exam, even if it takes a little longer to find them. I have also found that locating equations in MERM and then quickly glancing at the adjacent paragraphs sometimes reveals hints that I would not see if I simply looked the equations up in the quick reference guide.

I used the quick reference guide from the very beginning. I use the quick reference guide to find the equation or area of study and then if I need more informatoin I can then quickly go to the MERM.

Throughout doing the practice problems, I made notes in the quick reference manual. Some of these notes were as simple as terminology for the vairable or something I made a mistake on the practice problems and didn't want to make the same mistake. I also wrote in some examples of problems next to the sections in my weaker areas. It kinda became like a cliff notes book for the MERM. I believe it will help me on the exam, but it may be different for others.

I took the environmental PE exam. I didn't use the ENVRM excessively, but I was familiar enough with it through my studies that I could locate what I needed quickly. I also xeroxed a few key tables I was constantly referring to.

I used the same method ME Nebraska used. You will run into situations where the material in the quick ref is a little lacking and will therefore need to go to MERM. I like the quick ref because it also has the unit conversion very accessible and I have heavily added to it. In my opinion, if you are just going to buy it now to go take the test next week, save your money (really).

Thanks for the input folks.

A buddy of mine who took the PE a few years ago I think is going to mail me his to use. He has it all pre-tabbed and everything. So if i can get it to use for free, figure it won't hurt to have with me. Just wondering if it was a critical thing that if I couldn't get his, I need to go and buy one to have expedited to me. Sounds like it's not that critical.

Sorry, just getting panicky right now. I've studied for 4 months, but the first 2.5 months I wonly studied a couple times a week. ramped that up the last 1.5 months and have somewhere over 100 hours...but I just feel like I need another month of harcore studying and I have 1 week. It's freakin' me out. So as I am putting my reference materials together, I'm freaking out a bit with having the materials I need to have.

I will be taking the ME-Thermo/Fluids and don't at all feel ready. I'm just hoping if I have the right reference material with me, I at least have a shot at all the stuff I won't know.

ack!

I'm thinking about putting together a tabbed binder with each of the major sections. EAch section to have pages with all relevant equations, and then some bread & butter sample problems/solutions in each photocopied out of the MERM PRactice problems or MERM PRactice Exam.

Anyone else doing anything like that? Or am I just chasing windmills here?

:holyness:

I had put together a bound set with an index of problems per subject and never opened it during the exam last October. For exmaple, I'd write COP in the index and wrote page numbers and what book the problem was at which involved COP calculations. I am glad that effort didnt take me very long because it was a waste of time. LOL! I have to laugh at myself for that...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had put together a bound set with an index of problems per subject and never opened it during the exam last October. For exmaple, I'd write COP in the index and wrote page numbers and what book the problem was at which involved COP calculations. I am glad that effort didnt take me very long because it was a waste of time. LOL! I have to laugh at myself for that...
Did you not open it because you didn't have time? Or because you didn't need to?

I took the civil exam but can say I bought the civil quick reference guide but never used it. I studied the CERM so that by the time the exam came, I knew right where to look in the CERM. Plus, the footnotes of what equation is applicable are quite handly!

Hey, Brentum, calm down. You're better off to use the references you've been studying with. If you get your buddy's quick reference, it has some good stuff in it, but don't worry if you don't have it. MOSTLY, STAY CALM!!!

Good luck.

Did you not open it because you didn't have time? Or because you didn't need to?
Brentum, I figured I did not want to waste time looking through problems in different books during the exam. In my opininon, that would have been a mistake. I thought it would get me out of pace.

I'm thinking about putting together a tabbed binder with each of the major sections. EAch section to have pages with all relevant equations, and then some bread & butter sample problems/solutions in each photocopied out of the MERM PRactice problems or MERM PRactice Exam.
I created personal notes like that and found it really helpful.

Thanks for the encouraging words folks.

Staying calm is easier said than done.

I took the Lindeburg Practice Exam Thermo Depth portion yesterday, and while I wasn't completely lost the ones I did, I did only get to maybe 20 of the questions before time ran out. So needless to say that didn't help ease my nerves any.

Oh well, it'll be over Friday, one way or there other...

Back