Resume

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe an offer if he doesn't pass? I have a friend who delayed taking the exam, because he would have been let go as a PE. His hourly rate would have been to much to retain. Crazy eh?

Maybe an offer if he doesn't pass? I have a friend who delayed taking the exam, because he would have been let go as a PE. His hourly rate would have been to much to retain. Crazy eh?
That may be the text book definition of irony. That sucks.

We are so anxious about the results!! If hubby doesn't pass this time I have no doubt that he will remain unemployed for another six months. However, if he does pass, I think there is a good chance a job offer will come soon. There is a job opening locally that fits his experience EXACTLY (except the PE requirement) for which he has applied and they told him to let them know if he passes. Maybe an offer if he passes???

I wish, but it's definitely not the case. He applied for the same position in March of this year and was turned down because he didn't have his PE. Apparently they never hired anyone then started the search again recently. He took his resume there in person, got an email from HR later that day saying the usual thanks for stopping by, we will review your resume and contact you if your qualifications meet our needs. Then at the end of the email they said "please keep up posted as to the results of your PE exam". They have said the PE is an absolute requirement for this position so to be considered for this position he MUST pass. :(

Kathy - Just Curious...Could it be possible that his former firm may is not saying ultra positive things about your husband? I know the market out there for engineers is rough, but there are other factors as well. I didnt read all the posts above, so not sure if this was already talked about.

Is your husband qualified in anything else other than Land Development?

Sorry to hear your husband has had to deal with such a tough marketplace. As you well know, it's pretty dead in land development. Our company did primarily site development and went from almost 400 to around 130 in the span of 2 years. I think the fact that your husband has that much experience and doesn't have his PE is a warning flag. Companies are being super picky right now, but hopefully your husband will be able to put the PE next to his name soon and your luck will turn.

Most companies these days do not take you seriously without a PE next to your name. Specially with all of that experience. There have been very few cases that I have come across where someone with that much experience did not have a PE and was very valued. This case was someone who had connections.

I am sure this time your Husband will get his PE.

Kathy - Just Curious...Could it be possible that his former firm may is not saying ultra positive things about your husband? I know the market out there for engineers is rough, but there are other factors as well. I didnt read all the posts above, so not sure if this was already talked about.
Is your husband qualified in anything else other than Land Development?
That is an excellent question! As far as we know they have given him excellent recommendations as well as references to take the PE exam. The company I mentioned in an earlier post today even told him that his previous employer (CES) highly recommended him for the position earlier this year; they just decided to not hire anyone at that time. The two companies are located just down the street from each other and work together on some projects so they all know each other very well. In fact, when hubby was laid off, his employer called several other companies for leads for my husband. I guess when they look at the experience, past salary, etc. companies would much rather pay an engineer with a PE that much than someone without. I will tell you this though, at this point he would take a $40k reduction in pay without hesitation!

He worked for CES for a total of 13 years in Land Development; he left for 3 years to work for a national company in Water Resources and doing work with FEMA. He also does some side work on some DOT projects (couple hours here and there).

Most companies these days do not take you seriously without a PE next to your name. Specially with all of that experience. There have been very few cases that I have come across where someone with that much experience did not have a PE and was very valued. This case was someone who had connections.
I am sure this time your Husband will get his PE.

I know what what you're saying and I agree. I would have to say working for a small firm for that many years and not pursuing the PE has hurt him. But after so many tries he just pretty much gave up. He is extremely smart and talented; he just doesn't do tests very well..... :(

Just wanted to share with you all he got a call today for a phone interview with a company in IOWA scheduled for tomorrow.

Still praying!

Just wanted to share with you all he got a call today for a phone interview with a company in IOWA scheduled for tomorrow.
Still praying!
Good luck !! he will going to make it ! :multiplespotting: :plusone:

Still praying!
Thank you all for your support....we really appreciate it!!

Phone interview today with IA company seemed to go pretty good. They told him to contact them as soon as he gets the results from the test. Also received an email from a local company today that said basically the same thing. They have concluded their search, interviewing will begin after the holidays and to contact them as soon as he gets the PE results! Both of these positions would fit him perfectly!

We have a prayer chain going today; if anyone cares to join hubby's name is Trae.

Back