Respected Careers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryannette

Wise One
Reaction score
Seems to me that the business world is screwed up. The people who get the most lucrative compensation packages seem to be the ones who are willing to do anything the bosses want, no matter how unethical. I see a lot of businesses being run by greed. There is a huge gap between the management/executive groups and the worker groups. Why do we trust teachers to educate lawyers, but give them such low paychecks? Why should a doctor make 10 times as much as a nurse? AND ... why are engineers treated like trash? I was never a proponent of labor unions, but they served a purpose. Maybe it's time for a comeback for unions.

I don't know. But often I think that history will look back at these times (mid eighties through now and beyond) as another era of the "robber barons". Whether the backlash that followed the robber barons will repeat itself, has yet to be seen... But if there is anything I learned from history, even as an engineer (=poor history student), is that things tend to cycle from one extreme to another over long periods of time. I would not be surprised if some novel form of the labor union re-appears in the next 10 to 20 years, but this time it would probably be inclusive of so-called "white collar" workers like engineers.

I dont know if were treated like trash, but I think most just dont understand what we do. Its like the saying my college proffesor had, Engineers dont build roads, politicians do.

We all owe it to ourselves to get involved and bring up our proffession in the eyes of the public instead of thinking we all should have to have masters degrees to get licensure (like some believe). Speech therapists usually have masters degrees as well and they still make less than most teachers.

I have a brother in law who is an MD, and my wife is soon to be a Nurse, she could go on for days and days...

I agree with RoadGuy, most dont have a clue what engineers do or the importance of their existance. I would say 90% of the public takes for granted everything they use everyday that would be completely impossible without an engineer yet they never stop to think "where did this come from and how does it work" or " how in the world did someone design/build this" Its how the world works and will always work. The only time an engineer gets any attention is when something fails. I have always found it interesting how differently engineers view the world around them. I think alot of it is b/c they have a better understanding of how everthing works.

Dont even get me started on this topic. The blank stares you get from people when you tell them your an engineer drives me mad. Im also pissed that most people assume engineers make tons of money. "Ohh your an engineer, I know you make good money" is a common response.

Which brings me to what Dleg's comment about robber barrons and hes on the money. CEO's make 350 times the annual salary of the average worker. While at the same time slashing as many jobs and benefits to get the profits up to fatten the wallets of shareholders. Its a system which cant maintain its self.

Thats why Im trying to get on with the largest privately held company in the US. NO shareholders to impress. The majority of their profits are reinvested back into the company, largely on capital improvement projects and workers. Hopefully I can ditch this joint soon!!

In a way you cant fault the CEO’s because their job, by law, is to make money for the shareholders, if that means laying off 1000 people to do it, then that’s what they get paid to do.

No one can say they are not overpaid though.

I'm from the "You're worth whatever you can get" philosophy. If you're not happy with what you are making where you are at, find somewhere else. The market is not bad right now, at least around here. I agree that many are not paid as well as they could be, but many times that is a choice that they make. It may not be a choice you want, but when you don't go elsewhere b/c you want to stay in the same geographic location, or you feel you "owe" the company loyalty, you are still making the choice. Sometimes the only way to protest is with your feet.

Does the profession need better exposure? Sure. But with the current societies, boards, etc., you can bet that's not going to happen. Should there be a society that promotes the profession and regulates to promote better wealth creation among engineers? Sure, but the NSPE has definately lost that focus, if they ever had it.

Thats why Im trying to get on with the largest privately held company in the US. NO shareholders to impress. The majority of their profits are reinvested back into the company, largely on capital improvement projects and workers. Hopefully I can ditch this joint soon!!

I took a slightly different direction. I went to work for a very small private company. I told our president that if we ever get big enough to require a dedicated HR guy, I'll quit. The reasons I like the current job:

1. Bureaucratic BS is kept to a minimum. Equipment/Softwear purchase decisions are made pretty much instantaneously.

2. We aren't big enough to put up with office political BS.

3. I work from home about 80% of the time.

4. I know what the client pays for my time and my cost to my employer. His profit on me is not outrageous and I know my contribution to the bottom line.

5. Since we aren't large enough to have HR and corporate policies to the contrary, I can fly myself to client sites when the need arises.

So far, every company I have worked for has been smaller than the last. It's working well for me so far. :D

Jim

Back