Dysfunctional Companies

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sign No. 13: You are expected to feel lucky to have a job and know you could lose it if you don't toe the line
Dysfunctional companies maintain control using the threat of punishment. Most will maintain that they also use positive rewards ... like your paycheck. A few people are actually fired, but most of those who go are driven to quit.
I have been getting this vibe from our upper management lately. At all the company meetings, they go over our quarterly results (which have been profitable almost every quarter of the recession), then the president goes into this diatribe about how other firms are laying off lots of people and cutting salaries and whatnot. I think our raises were put on "temporary hold" until there was a light at the end of the tunnel, but we have still be collecting our quarterly bonuses. I'm about to start angling for a raise since I have now started stamping drawings and taking responsible charge of projects. I accepted a lower salary than I wanted when I came here with the caveat that I get a raise when I start taking over projects on my own. Now it's time to pay the piper before I take off with all their rats.

I have one to add:

If the management acknowledges that they have a concern about a possible problem, they agree to have a meeting to discuss and evaluate and prepare a report if necessary. They don't have any desire to FIX it, just to meet, discuss, evaluate, report, revisit if necessary.

I could give examples of every one on your list, Capt, all from the company I left 1 1/2 years ago. I don't miss any of it. I came up with plans B and C and pursued them vigorously. I know the job market is slow now, but do you have a plan B?

Did you write those yourself Capt? Those are pretty good.
Nah, someone sent it to me via e-mail. I thought it was good enough to pass along.

The CFO at a company where I worked made me and the production manager read The Goal. We sat around saying, "That's what we've been trying to tell these boneheads for three years and now they believe a book?"

I have one to add:
If the management acknowledges that they have a concern about a possible problem, they agree to have a meeting to discuss and evaluate and prepare a report if necessary. They don't have any desire to FIX it, just to meet, discuss, evaluate, report, revisit if necessary.
meetings.jpg

Back