Replacing HVAC units

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i swear it didnt used to cost that much to get a new HVAC unit, Im not sure if its because they dont really use freon anymore or if some new environmental law got snuck in , but I put in a new heat pump in 2002 and it was 1800 bucks and when I put a similar sized unit in my basement in 2011 it was $3800!
Are you blaming enviros?

I had to have a new evaporator put in both my units a couple years back. But my compressors were both still good so I got by for about $1500 total. Do you need to replace the entire system?

Correction, the GF heard incorrectly, $5300-$7K PER UNIT. They won't be back.

Freon - if the units are replaced, the air handlers would have to go with them. I may end up replacing just the evaporators next year, who knows. I could replace the evap coils, compressors, caps, fan motors, and have a couple recharges over the years before I break even on a new system.

i swear it didnt used to cost that much to get a new HVAC unit, Im not sure if its because they dont really use freon anymore or if some new environmental law got snuck in , but I put in a new heat pump in 2002 and it was 1800 bucks and when I put a similar sized unit in my basement in 2011 it was $3800!
Are you blaming enviros?
I blame politicians.

Are you blaming enviros?
I blame politicians.
OK good.

Can you replace one unit now and the other is a couple years? Or do you plan on moving before then?

Are you blaming enviros?
I blame politicians.
OK good.

Can you replace one unit now and the other is a couple years? Or do you plan on moving before then?
I could, but would still be saddled with refilling the one unit every year. They both leak. As far as moving, that's a good question. I'd like to move some place bigger, but then would have to make the call of whether or not I wanted to keep this place as a rental property since the value keeps going up.

Correction, the GF heard incorrectly, $5300-$7K PER UNIT. They won't be back.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right... my girlfriend (in Southern GA) had two heat pumps installed, including all new ductwork and air handlers, for $12k a couple years ago, for a ~3000 sq ft house.

Yes, that's sounds more in line with what I was thinking.

I had an issue with one of my units losing charge. I called the very large, local installer that has an office just down the road. They told me the lines could not be welded because of the type of metals they are and I would have to have an entirely new assembly in the $500-700 range. Well, I'm no welder, but I am a frikin engineer and that didn't sound right to me. So I called the guy that installed the units and works out of his garage. $150 later he had me up and going by welding what the other guy said "couldn't" be welded.

Moral of the story: Sometimes it pays to get a second opinion.

Got a quote this morning.

2 ton downstairs, 2.5 tons upstairs TRANE units quoted. Replacing outdoor AC units (pouring new pads for the units), replacing coils, leaving air handlers, redoing upstairs ducting attached to handler, replacing thermostats: $8400, 5 year labor warranty, 10 year parts.

Sound reasonable?

My girlfriend had a very similar system put in, plus two new air handlers and all new ducting for $12k, so that sounds reasonable relative to that.

Thanks MP. They gave me a quote of around $12K if I wanted to replace the furnace as well, but heat isn't much of an issue, and is only on maybe 2 months out of the year anyways in this house. I also haven't had any issues with it malfunctioning, which is more than I can say for the AC.

Just had a second guy stop by. Sending me a few different written quote options, but for the same work scope said it will be "about eight", so I don't feel so bad about the first quote. Flat out said "we won't be the cheapest," but I'm OK with that if they stand behind their work. First guy who came out impressed me a bit more, though. Second guy seemed less thrilled about the itty bitty opening into the attic.

Anyone familiar with Heil equipment? I got a quote today with Heil equipment that is a grand less than the others, with the exception that they said to keep a 2 ton upstairs rather than a 2.5, and at most use a booster to push some extra air into the bonus room.

I am not familiar with that brand. I looked through my old house expense spreadsheet and we had a 2.5 ton Trane unit installed and the air handler swapped out (the thing outside?) for just at $6000. But that was maybe 4 years ago? They also did some work adding a few returns here and there.

I think as long as you have around 3 quotes that should give you an idea of what the going price is. Thanks to the EPA for doing away with Freon and making our AC units double in cost over the last decade!

Two quotes were within 3-400 bucks of one another. This one is $1K less, but with a 2 ton unit in lieu of a 2.5 (installer said it won't make a difference, at most put a booster fan in line for the theater room), and using the Heil equipment in lieu of Trane. My understanding is that it's made by the same company as Carrier. Also carries the same warranty as the Trane unit.

I am choosing between this installer and the first one, both come very highly recommended/nothing but positive feedback in this area. First installer, more expensive, Trane, around for 40+ years. Second installer, less expensive, Heil, around for 5 years but small family owned business with a guy who branched out on his own, lots of reviews stating they never tried to upsell, no issues with warranty claims, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not use the Heil guy. Losing a 1/2 ton and adding a booster fan is a hodge podge setup and will not work as good as just paying for the extra 1/2 ton.

Thanks for the feedback. He seemed to think that it wouldn't help, especially without a return in the room, and that it would always be 5-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the upstairs unless an extra zone was added.

OK, I've decided to go with the cheaper of the two contractors.

Their guy came back a second time to talk some more after getting bits and pieces from the GF who was home when he did the estimate.

He didn't recommend a booster, but said they can put dampers in all of the lines to tweak individual room airflow accordingly.

His comment was that they are going to be limited by all of the duct and return sizes, in addition to the furnace fan, and that the 2.5 ton unit wouldn't net you anything but a clammy house. Additionally, he asked if they had quoted any additional electrical work for the 2.5 ton units. I said no, he said add $300-$500 because the current breakers would need to be upsized to 30 amp breakers.

He said the current t-stat location sucked, and that they would move it during the install to the master BR since we usually keep the doors shut (and this is true, it's usually scorching hot/freezing in the BR's compared to the hallway temperature, which overlooks a vaulted entryway).

He also planned on upsizing the return for the upstairs, which he said was marginal for the current install, and would help quiet things down some.

When asked about equipment, he said that he really hates Goodman units and isn't a fan of Lennox and SOME Trane models just based on parts availability. When asked about Heil, he indicated that you could take the name plate off the equivalent Bryant unit that ISC manufactures, and would never know the difference.

All in all, the guy seemed to know his shit, said there would be no extra charge for the dampers/return/relo of the t-stat (said they pay me salary, not commission), showed up on time, returned phone calls almost immediately, and the guy doing the estimate also heads up the install.

Back