Reflected Impedance (Complex Imaginary Vol2 Q3)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farhap

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, 

Can someone help me with the following question: 

There is a 16kV circuit with a load of 227 <31 ohm. An electrician has been instructed to create a transformer so that the reflected impedance of the load mentioned is 100<31 ohm. What is the turns ration?

I totally understand that Zp= a^2 Zsec and I have no problem with it. 

The way I understand the question is 227 <31 load is Zsecondary because its at the load and the 100<31 is the Zp. 
However, in the solution they flipped it, the 100<31 is the Zsec and 277<31 is the Zp. I read the question several times and for some reason my head can't get why they have it this way. isn't the load usually secondary? and reflected to the primary side? 

The only thing I can think of is they are trying to say there is a transformer on a 16kV circuit that is drawing a load of 227∠31° Ω, not supplying.

I think reading the question this way is the only way to make their solution meaningful.

Otherwise, your thinking is correct in that if the transformer was supplying a 227∠31° Ω load, then we would multiply by a².

Latest posts

Back