Recording Work Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdGrave

Reaction score
Illinois decoupled the PE exam from the experience requirements, so I actually took and passed the exam before I had much in the way of experience under a PE recorded.

That being said, I'm curious about the formatting of that information.  How do you, well, format it?  What information are you meant to include, how long and detailed is each entry expected to be, etc.?  Also, do any examples exist for public reference to guide how the information should be structured?  Thanks for the aid.

Illinois decoupled the PE exam from the experience requirements, so I actually took and passed the exam before I had much in the way of experience under a PE recorded.

That being said, I'm curious about the formatting of that information.  How do you, well, format it?  What information are you meant to include, how long and detailed is each entry expected to be, etc.?  Also, do any examples exist for public reference to guide how the information should be structured?  Thanks for the aid.
Your board may have specific requirements.   Shoukd check there first.  They also may provide a template in regards to overall format.

My board had a fairly specific requirements.  Needed project name / identifier, time worked, financial cost of project, scope of project, major equipment installed, and what you specifically did.  They were to be chronologically ordered and had to shoe increasing levels of technical responsibility. 

Perhaps the most important part is the language you use.  It needs to convey technical functions you OWNED very clearly.  

Worked on voltage drop... bad.

Independantly performed all low voltage cable voltage drops on all feeder circuits and 50% of branch circuits using NEC Appendix method...  Better.

The first gives the reader no idea what you actually did and they do care... they really really care and will reject vague and wishy washy responses.

You may have a lot of copy and paste as generally speaking most projects all have root or common tasks performed.  Nail out the language you want to use so its perfect before you copy and need to fix it multiple times.

I submitted almost 30 pages of experience.     Some were very brief, others took a page.  Granted, it was because of required formatting and lors of bullet points.   Its not an essay.

I hated this part the most of the entire PE process.

It is my understanding that Illinois does not require you to list out project experience. It is up to your professionals references on the VE-PNG form completed by your supervisor(s) to vouch for that.

Linked below are the forms used to apply when you get your experience. I am in the process of this at the moment myself.

Application Form

Application Instructions

Back