Recommended Studying Time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemntwist

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am taking the april 08 exam, and would really, really like to pass both days the first time! Who doesn't? I know that it's possible if I work my butt off. My question is how long would you recommended putting in for the sesmic/ surveying day? I am just feeling a little lost because the focus of all my study material is the first day. Actually I do have the Semsic review book from "the other board".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also for others who applied to take the test - I have NOT gotten my postcard confirmations back yet, although they have cashed my check (figures). Has anyone gotten theirs back yet? For the October (or older exams) about how long did you have to wait before knowing that infact yes you really are signed up for taking this thing???????

This may sound like overkill, but I honestly think I put in about 300-400 hours of review into the survey test alone. Of course, by the time I took the test seriously, it was the last exam I had to take and I had the luxury to spend all that time on it. I also tend to think that I'm a slow learner. =)

Best of luck to you!

If you're looking for a couple of good review manuals, I recommend:

1. Surveying Review by Mahallati: www.surveyingreview.com

2. Seismic Review by Steven Hiner...I forget to url, but if you do a google search you'll find his website.

On Monday, I found out I passed all three tests the first time. I estimate my study time at 150 hours, plus another 80 hours spend in a prep class. For seismic, I purchased the other board materials, but I didn't end up really using any of them. The Hiner workbook taught me everything I needed to know and I only started studying it a couple weeks before the test because I found out they were changing the building code basis.

For surveying, I used all 3 of the other board's materials: surveying principles, practice problems, and sample exams. My practice problems and sample exams were confiscated prior to the test because they were "bound" with staples. (This is how they are sold.) If you want to use them during the test you must punch holes in the books and put them in binders.

thanks for the advice, however I am having trouble locating of those Hiner books. His website says they are updating it for the new CBC rules, but it won't be avaliable until this summer. Just a little too late for me! Also I tried to purchase an old copy, but can't from his website. I also checked amazon and half.com

I have heard a lot of great things about the Hiner book... would anyone be able to help me find a copy?????

I've decided to treat it like three seperate exams (which it is) instead of focusing so much on the first day, especially the AM section. Some people I was talking with, other enviros, were freaking out about structures. I realized that it's not that many questions and I obviusoly need to spend way more time on the seismic stuff!

oh gosh! Congrats Brianne - you are one of the few who could do all three! that is awesome - now you need to have a party! and a raise!

Back