RadioShack to Close About 500 Stores Within Months

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
According to people familiar with the matter, RadioShack is planning to close around 500 locations in the coming months. It isn't clear which of RadioShack's roughly 4,300 stores will be closed and when exactly the closings will begin. The people familiar with the matter noted that it isn't unusual for companies to close stores when going through a restructuring.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303442704579362870830018510

The last two or three times I've gone into a Radio Shack (that goes back a good five years), I've been the only person in the store.

It used to be a great place to find RC stuff, but Wally World and Kmart do it better these days.

And the sales staff aren't the electronic geniuses they used to be up until the mid eighties. I remember them drawing schemtaics and assembling a parts list for me.

our little RS always has a line when I have had the need to go there...but it is only because they have just 1 employee working. Way overpriced to....but it is the convenience factor. Get today for a little more $ or wait a week or more to have it shipped from buying online for less $$$

Rat shack has gone downhill past few years. If yer not getting cell phone bling or a decked radio for yer vehicle, they can't help you.

Last time I was in there, I ended up leaving and ordering online as they couldn't / wouldn't order the connectors I needed from the nearly nonexistent parts bin.

The last two or three times I've gone into a Radio Shack (that goes back a good five years), I've been the only person in the store.
Ya it's usually dead when I've been to our local RS.

Rat shack has gone downhill past few years. If yer not getting cell phone bling or a decked radio for yer vehicle, they can't help you.

Last time I was in there, I ended up leaving and ordering online as they couldn't / wouldn't order the connectors I needed from the nearly nonexistent parts bin.
This too. They used to be our go-to hub when we needed small electrical components (i.e. resistors, caps, inductors, op-amps, etc.) during my undergrad. Now you go in there and ask for anything of that nature and you only get confused looks. And their prices seem way too high for things as simple as AV or coax. cable.

^ count me in with the "I miss the old guys who knew what they were talking about." I bought a remote for an ipod and had researched it before I went in. The sales clerk at the first one argued that nothing like that exists. The sales clerk at the second store was old school RS and helped me and I walked out happy.

Kind of tangential, but a lot of companies these days are run by business majors with zero knowledge of the products they sell/design/build, and how said products are used by their customers.

When I was a kid, there were two or three years where the local RS put the Christmas returns out for sale "as-is". My dad would pick up some non functional RC/electronic stuff and then teach me how to fix it. I miss those days.

I dated a guy that worked at Radio Shack back in high school... looking back I have no clue how we stayed together so long. TOTAL opposite personalities... maybe he just liked my cheer leading uniform. :dunno:
was it like this one:

champsscore-jec.jpg

Back