Quick Question about working problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Price

Tattoo Girl, PE
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you are able to work the problems without peaking at the answers? I have worked tons of problems (got 5 notebooks to show for it), but I still don't feel comfortable enough to work them without help from the solutions. And this has me a bit freaked out since the exam is in 4 weeks.

I was just wondering how many of you are able to work the problems without peaking at the answers? I have worked tons of problems (got 5 notebooks to show for it), but I still don't feel comfortable enough to work them without help from the solutions. And this has me a bit freaked out since the exam is in 4 weeks.
Jen,

I think in some cases it depends on the nature of the problems. For example, I worked a ton of horizontal/vertical curve questions and got myself to the point where I didn't need to peak. There were other problems that I either 1) didn't feel applied to what would be on the test and skipped or 2) seemed much harder than anything I felt would be thrown at me.

I think the most important thing about the problems is that after the fact (peaking or not) that you understand how to solve the problem. In some cases, I would look at the steps and add a note to my binder about the sequence of how to solve these problems (Find x, find y, solve for z using the xxx equation).

Many of the CERM practice problems and 6 minutes solutions problems are rather in depth and take multiple steps to solve - simply understanding how to get from step to step and recognizing the type of problem is half the battle.

-Ray

Jen,

when I did those practice problems I had to peek at the solution for a lot of them. And many of the problems I thought I solved on my own I failed. It scared the heck out of me. However during the exam I just did the best I could and I passed.

I think even if you have to peek at the solution something just sticks with you and you'll be able to recall it during the exam.

I'm focusing on more on solution method; getting and finding the right equations,and steps needed to get the answer. The rest is just math.

And remember: Schnell, schnell!!!

Thanks guys (and gal :) ). I feel a bit better about my studying now. I am just hoping that I retain a fraction of what I have studied so far. And can remember where problems are located in my notebooks.

Have a great day!

some or I would say most of the 6 min prob's are freaking me out. takes about an hour to solve one... Grrrrrr

some or I would say most of the 6 min prob's are freaking me out. takes about an hour to solve one... Grrrrrr
That's what I was finding too. And then of course, I think to myself, "these are supposed to be solved in six minutes. I can't do it in 6 minutes. I am going to fail miserably."

I am hoping (and keeping my fingers crossed) that the exam questions are a bit easier than the questions I have been studying with.

That's what I was finding with the compainion book to the MERM. It was really frustrating, soi I just started pickign what equations I would use to solve it, checking to see if I was on the right track, then moving on. I'll rework the NCEES sample exam again soon. I get the impression that it is more important to know where to find the correct equation.

That's what I was finding too. And then of course, I think to myself, "these are supposed to be solved in six minutes. I can't do it in 6 minutes. I am going to fail miserably."
It's a really hard thing to do but try NOT to panic!! The anxiety will only get you worked up and you will not be able to do your best come exam day :true:

The really important thing to remember about the exam is that you are going to be given problems that vary GREATLY in complexity. Some of the problems may be a very simple calculation for a parameter while others will be more involved.

The real 'key' to working problem sets like the six-minute solutions IS NOT in order to try to solve problems in 6-mins or less rather it is to be familiar AND comfortable with working out the major elements for a broad spectrum of design problems. The exam is going to challenge your understanding of the inter-relationship of factors and calculations so your understanding of the nuts and bolts is what is important - not how fast you can solve a soup to nuts problem.

I think you must take some solace in the fact that you have taken time to prepare and understand the inner-workings of a broad range of problems. You can't cover every conceivable type of problem that may appear on the exam but you can certainly ensure that you are knowledgable about many of the calculations and applications and limitations of those calculations.

I hope that helps to alleviate a smidge of your anxiety :)

Best regards,

JR

Take it from an exam EXPERT. The six-minute solutions are much more difficult than the problems you will see on the exam. If you understand how the problem is worked, then you'll be OK. If you understand how to maneuver the units, then you'll be OK. If you take your time, and read each problem carefully, and work it the way you know it should be worked......you'll be OK.

Just become very familiar with all the resources you have so you can find a quick solution.....

and a little hint......

If you have a "Look-up" problem......pay VERY CLOSE attention to anything that might pertain to where the solution can be found!!! I really think my haste to get to an answer, and not paying attention to the details is what has me taking it again, not my level of intelligence as it pertains to engineering.

Don't forget that there will be plenty of questions that are more subject content than plug and chug equations (I think my exam review guy said it was about a 45/55 split). Many of the subject matte questions will require you to either understand the topic or be able to find the answer in one of your references or the CERM. These are the 'equalizing' questions, the ones where you will probably spend a minute or two on since you will say 'topic xxx, oh yeah, that is in the CERM chapter regarding yyy'

Like many of us have said, understanding the steps and how to get from step 1 to step 3 is what is the most important.

Being able to identify the question in front of you is huge... if you look at a water resource question and can say 'I need to use Mannings here', you have already done 3/4 of the work, the rest will be plug and chug.

Don't be afraid to reverse-engineer a question. Rather than iterate a calculation several times, you can work backwards if it is a tough equation to solve - just plug in the answers and see what ends up being the closest.

-Ray

I think the key will be to just be able to read the problem & know where to look for guidance. It's far to broad to be trying to remember how to work each problem.

^^^ That is very true.

Another thing to remember is that the exam is testing your knowledge about ELEMENTS of design. In other words, this exam IS NOT 80 questions of step-wise solution textbook problems. What this exam does is drilldown at different stages of design to test your understanding of concepts by manipulating how the problem is presented. Some design information may be given as a parameter, some design information may not be given and may need to be inferred. Either way, it is NOT wise to try to approach this exam by rote memorization of problem 'types'.

Having said that, the best way to prepare for this exam is to follow the Civil PE Exam Specifications provided by NCEES.

JR

I think the key will be to just be able to read the problem & know where to look for guidance.
Yeah, right on. If you can look at a problem, identify what the application is and what they are looking for, you are halfway there. The other half is knowing where to find related info in your references quickly. Unless a problem just involved manipulating units I always called in backup.

Back