Questions for those who passed Seismic and Surveying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhchooo

Reaction score
This is a question for those of you who passed the Seismic and Survey previously and I would also like to get some opinions.

I am a comity applicant from the east coast who took the April exam and I thought the Seismic and Survey exams were much more difficult than the 8hr NCEES, which I had no problems passing.

I think I studied twice as much as the 8hr exam preparing for the Seismic/Survey (a good 5 months... 2 hrs a day) and I felt like my studying didn't really pay off. The 8hr NCEES Civil Exam was very well written and forumlated and none of the questions were trick questions. The given amount of time was sufficient to finish.

I thought the seismic and survey exams were much more deceptive and felt like I had to obtain some inside knowledge or something and the prep materials I had were not adequate (specifically Hiner's book).

With the Seismic I was able to answer about 35 questions confidently, guessed about 15 because I couldn't do the problem or ran out of time. With the Survey I was able to answer about 45 questions and guessed 5 for the same reason.

Is this experience typical with people who put this much time into studying? and has anyone here been able to complete all 50 questions on each exam in the given time?

Also outside the familar prep material discussed in this thread (Hiner, Lindburg, Cuomo.. etc) are there other sources you have used that you thought were helpful?

This is a question for those of you who passed the Seismic and Survey previously and I would also like to get some opinions.
I am a comity applicant from the east coast who took the April exam and I thought the Seismic and Survey exams were much more difficult than the 8hr NCEES, which I had no problems passing.

I think I studied twice as much as the 8hr exam preparing for the Seismic/Survey (a good 5 months... 2 hrs a day) and I felt like my studying didn't really pay off. The 8hr NCEES Civil Exam was very well written and forumlated and none of the questions were trick questions. The given amount of time was sufficient to finish.

I thought the seismic and survey exams were much more deceptive and felt like I had to obtain some inside knowledge or something and the prep materials I had were not adequate (specifically Hiner's book).

With the Seismic I was able to answer about 35 questions confidently, guessed about 15 because I couldn't do the problem or ran out of time. With the Survey I was able to answer about 45 questions and guessed 5 for the same reason.

Is this experience typical with people who put this much time into studying? and has anyone here been able to complete all 50 questions on each exam in the given time?

Also outside the familar prep material discussed in this thread (Hiner, Lindburg, Cuomo.. etc) are there other sources you have used that you thought were helpful?
If you feel you were able to answer that many correct, you did well to pass

Latest posts

Back