QUESTION OF THE DAY: aug 24/07

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantaloup

Reaction score
The existing trapezoid shaped channel has the following data:

Bottom width: 16.0 ft

Side slope: 1.5 (horizontal to vertical)

Bed slope: 0.0018

Manning coefficient: 0.02

Current maximum depth of flow: 6.0 ft

Due to near future development, the channel needs to be excavated deeper to provide 50% more flow, with side slope and bed slope remain the same. You are assigned to design the new depth of the channel. What is the nearest depth of excavation?

A/ 3.0 ft

B/ 2.5 ft

C/ 1.5 ft

D/ 7.5 ft

Whenever the side slope is listed, as in this problem, should the reader automatically interpret it as 1:1.5?

This probably seems like a stupid question to most but a lot of the problems that I have encountered list the side slopes in many different formats. If one doesn't understand the format correctly, the solution is incorrect from the beginning. My :2cents:

Whenever the side slope is listed, as in this problem, should the reader automatically interpret it as 1:1.5?

This probably seems like a stupid question to most but a lot of the problems that I have encountered list the side slopes in many different formats. If one doesn't understand the format correctly, the solution is incorrect from the beginning. My :2cents:
Owillis, I think its the other way H:V = 1.5:1

The existing trapezoid shaped channel has the following data:Bottom width: 16.0 ft

Bed slope: 0.0018

Manning coefficient: 0.02

Current maximum depth of flow: 6.0 ft

Due to near future development, the channel needs to be excavated deeper to provide 50% more flow, with side slope and bed slope remain the same. You are assigned to design the new depth of the channel. What is the nearest depth of excavation?

A/ 3.0 ft

B/ 2.5 ft

C/ 1.5 ft

D/ 7.5 ft
Existing

Area = 150 ft^2

R (hyd radius) = 3.98

V = 7.9 ft/s

Q = 1188.7 cfs

New channel

Q'=1783 cfs

solving for depth = 7.42 ft

I guess my answer will be D. What do you say Can...

ExistingArea = 150 ft^2

R (hyd radius) = 3.98

V = 7.9 ft/s

Q = 1188.7 cfs

New channel

Q'=1783 cfs

solving for depth = 7.42 ft

I guess my answer will be D. What do you say Can...
Uh oh... I don't think you can dig another 7.4 ft. I get maximum depth (i.e. v-notch triangular channel) of 11.3 ft using basic trigonometry - that's just another 5.3 ft.

I like Appendix 19.E for this problem - it gets me the first Q in about thirty seconds and max Q in another twenty. The CERM says that if the cross-section or uniform depth is unknown then a trial-and-error solution is required. Isn't that the case here?

Suns: How did you solve for d given Q?

Uh oh... I don't think you can dig another 7.4 ft. I get maximum depth (i.e. v-notch triangular channel) of 11.3 ft using basic trigonometry - that's just another 5.3 ft.
I like Appendix 19.E for this problem - it gets me the first Q in about thirty seconds and max Q in another twenty. The CERM says that if the cross-section or uniform depth is unknown then a trial-and-error solution is required. Isn't that the case here?

Suns: How did you solve for d given Q?
I fell in the trap -_-

Suns: How did you solve for d given Q?To solve for d, just plug 4 answers in the Manning eq. to see which one match with Q; however you need to prepare the derived equation beforehand (write it down in your notebook) which is listed below, and make sure that you don't make mistake when punching in numbers, * , / , ^ , ( , ) , etc.

This is how I would solve this problem :

The methodology to solve this problem is easy, but in order to solve it fast and correctly you need to use the HP-33s calculator.

Here are some equations I put in the calculator (Y is the normal depth of flow, B: bottom width, Q: cfs) :

MANNING-BASIC

V=1.486/N*R^0.667*S^0.5

Q=1.486/N*A*R^0.667*S^0.5

MANNING TRAPEZ (if rectangular shape, enter Z=0 or Z=0.0001)

V=1.486/N*((B+Z*Y)*Y/(B+2*Y*(1+Z^2)^0.5))^0.667*S^0.5

Q=1.486/N*((B+Z*Y)*Y)^1.667/(B+2*Y)*(1+Z^2)^0.5)^0.667*S^0.5

For this open channel flow problem, turn on the last equation in the HP-33s and solve Q, enter value of

N, B, Z, Y, S

Answer Q=376.06 cfs

New Q=1.5*376.06=564.09

Turn on that equation again, this time solve for Y

The same value of N, B, S, Z are already stored in the calculator, so press [R/S] button each time, no need to enter the number again; only enter value of Q which is 564.09.

You’ll get the answer : 7.42 ft (depth of flow)

Depth of excavation = 7.42-6.0=1.42 , so the answer is 1.5 ft

If you plan to take PE exam water resource module, it’s better to use the HP equation solver. Consider 3 types of equation: D-W, H-W and Manning, you need to derive:

For D-W : one eq solve V, one solve Q

For H-W basic: one eq solve V, one solve Q

For H-W pipe: like above

For Manning basic: like above

For Manning pipe (full flow): like above

For Manning trapezoid (also rectangle): like above

One eq to solve pipe in parallel and one to solve pipe in series using D-W

One eq to solve pipe in parallel and one to solve pipe in series using H-W

One eq to solve crit. depth of flow of trap. & rect. channel

One eq using H-W and one using D-W (both Q: gpm & D: inch) to solve the pump problem in the NCEES sample exam question

For example, go to page 126 of the NCEES Sample question book:

Here is the H-W eq to be put in the HP-33s to solve the pump problem:

Q=0.281*C*D^2.63*(H/L)^0.54

TDH = H(static) + H(loss) = 30 + H(loss)

Turn on the equation, solve for H(loss) four times with 4 values of Q in the answer part (nice thing is that value of C and D are already stored, no need to enter again, just press [R/S] )

Calculate the TDH and plot these point on the graph to get the intersecting point, which is the operating point; that’s the answer.

I know a guy who brought 2 HP-33s to the exam, one calc. with water eq’s and the other calc. with eq’s for the rest plus one Casio calculator. His philosophy is if he can get 10 questions solved quickly (without worrying about calculating mistakes) by using the equation solver, he can save 20-30 minutes for other “strange” questions which required time for thinking or research. Also he could not read the nomographs well due to bad eyesight.

He passed the PE exam first time despite many yrs away from school !!!
CAN! you the man...

Well the HP saga continues for me... I spent a long time going through the manuals and :sux: entered the equations, which I hardly ever use. and after my survey eqns in, it has clogged my calculator. I need 5 of these now...

then went through the nomograms and graphs to figure out stuff to solve for water...

and now planning to change my depth ... some one help me :suicide:

For this open channel flow problem, turn on the last equation in the HP-33s and solve Q, enter value ofN, B, Z, Y, S

Answer Q=376.06 cfs
cantaloup,

I think that's the wrong answer... I quickly get a Q of 1190 cfs using Appendix 19.E. Can you double check your work?

Why are you planning on changing your Depth? I think Water Resources is one of the most predictable (and therefore study-able) depths.
Environmental is shaking me up a bit and getting to be a little headache (this part looks like more unpredictable and tricky at times.

Environmental is shaking me up a bit and getting to be a little headache (this part looks like more unpredictable and tricky at times.
The mistake is I used S=0.00018 when the problem says S=0.0018. I apologize for the mistake. So if you use S=0.0018 then the flow is 1190 cfs which is correct. In reality, the range of bed slope of open channel flow is 0.0001 to 0.001 depending on length of the channel.

Send me your email if you need the formulae for the HP-33S (mainly for WR depth).

Back