Question for the HVAC gurus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes! Mine were both running full blast all month, and even with the theater electronics and three TV's in the house, it was only about $125 bucks for 2600 sq/ft. You're definitely losing some air in there!

72? thats pretty frigid!

we just had our main floor unit replaced last week, it was a 2 Ton, and we also had the coil / condensor replaced, it was $2400..

but i still think your main problem is the room being over the garage

72? thats pretty frigid!
Both of us like to sleep at cooler temps. During the day, even set at 72, the actual is up to 78 or so from 3 onward. Accidentally set it for 75 one morning and it was 78 before noon, I think before 10:30 or so.

Yikes! Mine were both running full blast all month, and even with the theater electronics and three TV's in the house, it was only about $125 bucks for 2600 sq/ft. You're definitely losing some air in there!
Yeah, the house was built in either 1950 or 1955 and wall insulation is nonexistant. Attic insulation is a thin layer of blown cellulose insulation. neighbor across the street had 1' of insulation (I think he said R19, but don't recal) blown in his attic and it cut his AC bill in half.

What do you guys think of inline booster fans? HVAC guy is here, and when I crawled in there, there is a 6" line and an 8" line, the 8" being teed off to two registers. He suggested adding an inline booster on the 8" line to help get some air movement.

What do you guys think of inline booster fans? HVAC guy is here, and when I crawled in there, there is a 6" line and an 8" line, the 8" being teed off to two registers. He suggested adding an inline booster on the 8" line to help get some air movement.
You're going to rob from somewhere else then. That means another space will get hotter.

Why not try to enlarge the duct runs you have? Same result, no additional power usage. But be aware that the cooling in another area will become worse.

Ducts are a nightmare to get at because of the firewall, but a booster could be put in easily right near the air handler, which is accessible. I wouldn't mind robbing from the other rooms a bit. Both bathrooms are small, Junior's bedroom is small, and I always have a fan on in the master regardless.

You're going to rob from somewhere else then. That means another space will get hotter.

Why not try to enlarge the duct runs you have? Same result, no additional power usage. But be aware that the cooling in another area will become worse.

Using a booster, I wouldn't have to touch it. On top of that, the "firewall" doesn't appear to do a whole lot. The builders cut through it to run the ducts anyways, and all that's really there is some OSB with a layer of OC703 fiberglass board.

I may also consider putting a damper in line with one of the rooms. Our spare bedroom is used only for storage. No point in trying to cool that room.

Back