Question for NY_PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Civil_PE

Quick concerns from NY_PEs, who meet all NY PE Licensing requirements (i.e. ABET education,experience, passing FE and PE) other than the State residency requirements of having US Citizenship or Green Card for being licensed in NY (i guess the only State having this in effect). If the applicants Green Card Application is pending through his Engineering Employer would anyone know whether he is entitled to NY PE License if not at least the NY PE Certiifcate of having cleared the remaining requirements like Examinatuion, Education and Experience requirements. At least that would assist the applicant to get a raise/bonus at hbis current employment. Any feedback or input is highly appreciated. Thanx Indeed!

Good luck man. I grew up in NY and know some former classmates from grad school going for their PE in NY. I hear its a real bitch to get all the application materials in and approved. I've heard they basically want to know experience down to the last detail of every project you've ever worked on.

My dad is licensed in NY in another profession, and that board is no bargain either. So I guess it's a statewide thing.

I am a foreign national, permanent resident in the United States. I waited until I got my green card before I applied for the FE and PE in New York, so I don't know how it works with pending applications. My feeling is that you need your green card (they ask for a copy). I think NJ is the same. I work with someone in NY who has a H1B visa but is applying for permannent residence. He is taking the April PE Exam in PA to sidestep this restriction.

As far as the application goes, I had no problems. Just make sure you follow up on your all of your education references and verifications. Also, when detailing your experience, list the codes used in all of your projects, even if you don't know them inside and out. They LOVE to hear about codes.

Good Luck,

Bertny, PE

Back