Question about Scantron

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg_519r

Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I would give my F5 key a break and use the other keys to ask a question.

So I was taking the morning exam, filled out all my personal details on the front of the answer sheet as instructed. I then flip over when the exam starts and go to work. When the instructor calls time and tells us to flip the answer sheets back over, I notice that there is some kind of stain on the wood table that I was sitting at. Everywhere I filled in a bubble on the answer side, there was now this perfect circle "rub" of stain on the side with my personal information. I didn't even know it was happening until time was up (and at this point I couldn't even pick up my pencil to try and erase it - which probably would have made more of a mess now that I think about it).

These stain circles are all over the damn sheet, near boxes where I filled in my personal stuff and in the white space and everywhere in between. I naturally had a panic attack and breathlessly told the lady picking up the test. She said no big deal and kept on walking. So when they excused us for the lunch break, I ran up to the main proctor and told her what happened. She said there was nothing she could do, but she assured me that if the Scantron couldn't read it, it would be spit out and checked by hand. According to her, there was no reason to worry.

For the second half of the exam I put a spiral notebook under my answer sheer to avoid the problem.

So question is this - should I be worried? Is there anything I can do if it turns out to have affected my score?

If you get a fail notice you can request manual re-scoring. Costs I think $75. Other than that, I doubt you can really do anything.

If you pass, it won't matter.

yeah you can get them to score by hand, but I'd only waste my money if you failed by a lot. the stain was probably not number 2 lead which the scantron machine detects.

Ok great. Didn't know about the manual rescoring. The good thing is these stains are on the identification side of my answer sheet, not the answer side. So like you said, if it just gives me a no score for the morning session it should be obvious.

Back