Question about 3-phase autotransformer banks: what if they were connected line to line?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a quick silly question about 3-phase autotransformer banks.

Many questions involving 3-phase autotransformers that I have seen typically have each 1-phase autotransformer connected between line and neutral. So the primary (V1 auto) and secondary (V2 auto) terminal voltages are line-to-neutral voltages.

However, I haven't seen any 3-phase autotransformer banks in which each 1-phase autotransformer is connected between phase and phase.

If there was such a 3-phase autotransformer bank in which each 1-phase autotransformer is connected between phase and phase, the primary (V1 auto) and secondary (V2 auto) terminal voltages would be line-to-line voltages instead of line-to-neutral voltages, correct?

I haven't seen such a question throughout the practice exam questions I've done so far, which is why I'm asking this question...

Below is an example of 3 phase auto-transformer. In this layout, input and output are line-to-line. But you could stick a neutral wire in and also get line to neutral readings. Is that what you're asking?

hqdefault.jpg

Back