Professional Liability Insurance??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cet_rox

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I’m a recently licensed PE seeking some advice on Professional Liability insurance coverage. I serve in a municipal engineering/[/SIZE]management[SIZE=12pt] role. We sub out most of our engineering consultant design work, and most of the time I act as the reviewer/administrator of their work. Occasionally, I do some in house design and perform internal engineering analysis for my projects. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My scope of responsibility includes management of our large infrastructure projects, roadway/sidewalk network, traffic division (signal maintenance and timing, etc), and several other engineering related responsibilities. I’m the only licensed PE on staff and basically we have no other staff with engineering backgrounds.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This had led me to think about whether or not I personally need to obtain some professional liability insurance. I would like the comfort of knowing my family and personal assets are protected in the course of performing my duties. At the moment, I’m not really performing any professional services during my personal time, but I would still like to know I have some insurance coverage.[/SIZE]

Can you share your recommendations on professional liability coverage?  Has anyone purchased insurance through ASCE?

I noticed this "After you pass the PE Exam" forum section doesn't show up unless you sign in.  Just wanted to advise admins.  Maybe this was the intent.  If so, disregard.  Thanks!

Depends, does your your position indemnify you? Could you still be held liable for damages under certain conditions? Typically government employees (Fed/State/local) are covered by sovereign immunity so long as they're working within the scope of their assigned duties. It's only the tiny municipalities, the ones without a real legal staff or ability to afford one, or those in areas where home-rule is an illusion where things can get complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m covered by sovereign immunity plus additional employer liability coverage, but it seems prudent to have a little policy on my own to protect my personal assets. Does anyone have a insurer they might recommend? 

I’m covered by sovereign immunity plus additional employer liability coverage, but it seems prudent to have a little policy on my own to protect my personal assets. Does anyone have a insurer they might recommend? 
Having your own Professional liability insurance typically would not cover work done for your job covered by your employers liability insurance.  It would cover any side work you do outside of work.  If you try to purchase liability insurance to cover your duties at work they will likely only want to cover the entire entity including any other engineers that you work with. 

If you are particularly concerned about getting sued you should look at an umbrella policy.  They are usually relatively cheap and will cover you getting personally sued for usually 1-2 million beyond what your homeowners, car and other insurance will. 

I’ve been also curious if I need my personal professional liability insurance though I’m not doing side jobs and my company provides a coverage.
What happens when, let’s say, the company doesn’t exist anymore in 10 years when someone decides to sue me as a EOR?

Back